Which FCP will work on both of my systems?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Crazy-A, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Crazy-A macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello all-

I recently purchased 2 macs as an upgrade to my older ones. I used to use FCP production suit on my old G5 dual 2.5, but did not realize that it would not run on my new Mac Promwith the intel proc. So, I would like to know which FCP studio is the OLDEST (and therefore the cheapest) that I can run on both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro. Here are some of my stats:

Mac Pro: 2.8 quad core intel xenon, 3 GB RAM, ATI radeon HD 5770 (that is a PCIe x 16 gpu). It is running 10.6 (but I will soon get 10.7 on it when I can purchase the upgrade)

MacBook Pro: 2.53 GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9400M. (the model # is A1286 if you want more specs)

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled; I had foot surgery and am typing on my iPhone while waiting for my MBP to arrive (I just bought it yesterday)

Thanks in advance!
    MacBook Pro:

2. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you for responding. I was looking at that website yesterday and thought that I had determined the oldest version I could use was FC studio 2. Can anyone confirm this?

But you say that, if I run OS Lion then Apple only promises that FCS 3 will work? That stinks.

Also, I had Some questions about my gpu in each of the systems. Will my MBP run final cut at all? I am not sure if that MBP has an integrated gpu or not. I have seen that some
    MBPs have two gpus: one is integrated and one is not. I am not sure about mine. I bring this up bc I read that FCS may not run on systems that have an integrated GPU..??

Is there someone that can look at my specs and give me a clear answer? I don't wanna be limited to iMovie, as nice as it is. I just miss my FCP since I got my new puter.

Thanks so much!

3. simsaladimbamba

Final Cut Pro can even run on an IGP, as it is not GPU dependent (video editing is not GPU intensive, video compositing is).

4. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I must have misunderstood what i read somewhere. So, your saying I will have no problem running FCP on ether of my systems as far as the gpu is concerned. The only thing I have to worry about now is whether or not it will run on 10.6 or 10.7, right?

Is anyone running FCS 2 on Lion right now? Think that is the oldest FCS that runs on intel procs, isn't it?

5. simsaladimbamba

The oldest version of FCS capable of running on Intel Macs is FCS 1, as it has been released as UB in 2006, but if you have a Mac with 10.6 or 10.5 on it, you can even run older versions of FCP, as Mac OS X includes Rosetta to translate between PPC and X86, but Lion got rid of Rosetta.

And yes, the only thing you have to worry about is if it will run in 10.7, but FCS 2 should, but it may have some bugs doing so. FCS 3 is quite old already (2009), thus it is the only supported version.
    Avid releases a new version every year, Adobe does too, only Apple is a bit slower.

6. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for taking the time, but now I'm more confused.

I have always edited on my powermac g5 dual 2.5. When I bought that system, I also purchased the final cut production suit. This is the suit that had the first motion in it. But last December I had to by a new computer, and I got the intel xenon 2.8 quad core. However, my final cut will not run on that computer. If it did, I would have no prob just using it and not upgrading. I just edit home video now and have no "need"not buy a new FCS. But I cant get it to run on my new system. Somas you can see, I am not sure I understand your last post.. ?? My new tower is running 10.6 but it won't install my production suit.

7. simsaladimbamba

Sorry for the confusion.

You just have to know, that Apple released an update in 2006 for their FCS 1 that made it universal, thus could run on Intel Macs.
    Maybe you can find such an old version or FCS 2.

Anyway, I was shocked to see FCS 3 for almost 1,600 USD on eBay.

8. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I agree! I have been shopping eBay for the FCS that I could use, and I find FCS 2 for about $150 or so. Not bad. But I have seen FCS 3 for a whole lot more! My new MBP is running 10.7, and I sure would like to be able to edit on both my desktop as well as my laptop, but I guess the only way to do that now is to buy FCS 3, right? Or I could only edit on my desktop running 10.6 and get either the universal FCS or buy FCS 2. I think that's what I hear you saying.

Thanks so much for taking all this time. I really appreciate it!!

9. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

According to a poster in THIS thread, FCS2 uses Rosetta during the install process, thus potentially making it incompatible with Lion

10. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess the answer is: if I run 10.6 and never want to upgrade, then fcs2 or the fcs1 universal will work. OR, if I want to run 10.7 and cOntinue to update and upgrade my OS over the years then I need FCS 3 or newer.

So my last question now is, can't I get an upgrade program since I already bought the production suite years ago?

11. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Or maybe I should just buy a fc express until I can afford a new FCS. Any idea what one I should buy to be compatible with 10.7? I wonder if express has the same Rosetta issues as FCS...?

12. simsaladimbamba

13. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I would love to! It's pretty expensive. But wouldn't I get a discount for having authentic previous version? Maybe I should contact apple.

14. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Looking at it's age (IIRC FCE4 came out together with FCS2), FCE might have the same problem with Rosetta. If you want to buy a new software, why buying something EOL'd? As you mention FCE, it seems you don't need the FCS "pro" features. Then you are better served with FCP X.

FCS3 is proven to run with Lion. Pulling FCS2 from a TM backup into Lion didn't work at a friend of mine.

There are a few dealers left that have FCS3 in the shelf. On ebay, it goes as "buy now" for about 1100 bucks.

15. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

comparatively speaking FCPX is WAY cheaper than trying to get FCS3. Had you tried to buy FCS3 just a couple months ago, you could have gotten it dirt cheap. As it stands now with Apple discontinuing it and all, you can only get it from 3rd party sellers - and they are RIPPING people off.

So, if it was me, I'd bite the bullet buy FCPX and go from there. You won't find a cheaper option if you want to run your editing software in Lion

16. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The OP seems to not realize that FCS has been discontinued. You would have to have financial gains (a paying gig that required Final Cut) to justify spending money on that software due to being EOL and extremely outdated as-is. Better to buy FCX if you can accept the limitations and bugginess, or jump over to Adobe or AVID if you want to invest in a longterm solution.

With Apples recent transition from FCS to FCX, they have fallen way behind the pack. It remains to be seen if their gamble will pay off and they will regain their once prominent position in the professional editing environment. Don't hold your breath.

17. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

This is all great advice and ideas. With the discussion about FCX, I have realized that I don't know all that is in that package. To be honest, I seen it advertised on the apple website and just assumed it was the newest FCS that I would never afford and didn't read all about it. But from what I gleen here, it is really scaled down and is not a big improvement, eh? I really do want a professional package; I'm not excited about the FCE option, but money is an option now. I guess I will just wait and keep using my old Production Suite on my old power PC until I can afford to run a good program on my new systems.

I really appreciate everyone's help! There sure is a lot of great info here.

18. cgbier macrumors 6502a

19. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess all I meant as that I wanted something like livetype, motion, and DVD studio pro. Since I have read some stuff about FCP X I realize that it is only the video editing software. I want the whole suite. I love creating titles and authoring DVDs. I have used the whole iMovie and iDVD, which is fine in it's own right, but to limiting for me. I still hold dreams of making money doing video. (I used to have a small
    Part time biz, but nothing big). So I guess I will have to stick with my old Production Suite until I can afford FCS 3.

20. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Livetype is dead a long time already, Motion costs 50 bucks extra (I love 5!). I'd miss DVDSP too.

21. Crazy-A thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I know LT is long gone, by that's all I have known since only having Prod. Suite. And I still really like it. But you say motion 5 is awesome?! And yes, I don't know what I could do without DVDSP. That program is awesome and I have only used the old one; I can only imagine what the newest one is like!

22. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Apple hasn't updated any DVD software in years. DVDSP - RIP

Jobs thinks the disk is dead. My clients think otherwise.