which file does switchresx delete on the retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Jul 14, 2012.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I installed and uninstalled an old version of switchresx (v 4.03)

Is there a way to replace this file? What file is it? Would it be obvious?(system failure)

2. Queen6, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have you looked at the faq on Switchresx site, its likely your system is set to a resolution it is incapable of displaying try starting up in safemode see below

"I've defined a new resolution and rebooted, and the system boots with a black screen.First, try to reboot in safe mode. To do that, turn your system off, then restart. When you hear the startup tone, hold down the shift key. Release the shift key when you see the "spinning gear" on the startup screen.The file named Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist contains the resolution that the System tries to use at startup. Deleting this file helps generally. If this solves the problem during the reboot, but not in your user account, a similar file named "com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist" exists in your own /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/ByHost folder. You can remove this file to get back the standard resolution in your user account.If nothing above works, try to press the "reset" or "factory defaults" button in SwitchResX Control for your monitor. This will delete all changes that you have made for this monitor.As a last resort, if you can't even start SwitchResX itself, you'll have to delete the monitor profile that was modified when you created a new custom resolution. This file is located in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ and is the last modified file, that you can find if you sort by date. You should remove this file, if you can access the file system, either by1) accessing the file system from an other Mac on the network, from ssh or by mounting a shared folders.2) OR starting up in single user mode (or safe mode)3) OR at last resort: reinstalling the OS above the existing install, which will keep your existing profiles, but remove the system modified files.

SwitchResX. Is a very powerful tool, and some care is required when using it...

3. Queen6, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Contact the dev for SwitchResX he/she will be able to advise which files were deleted as this is a bug in 4.3.0,

4.3.1. Corrects this issue, equally some caution must be applied when using the app.

4. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not experiencing a black screen or any issues. Except, I just had my mbp fail to wake up from sleep mode while in clam mode connected to two external monitors...

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That might have been a little more useful in the opening post...

6. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

are those the only indications of something being deleted?

7. Queen6, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As suggested go look at SwitchResX FAQ there are many solutions and information, if you had a real problem with the app your system would have one blank screen or more, coming out of sleep may be an entirely different issue.