Which file format for Time Machine? Confused

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kdum8, May 24, 2011.

1. kdum8, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I just bought a Buffalo External 2TB Hard Drive to act as the Time Machine backup for my mac. (See here: http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techn...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306046618&sr=8-4)

However, I am confused as to which file format I need to format the disk under.

I have done a search but there seems to be conflicting advice. I am running 10.6.7 so I have the ExFAT option as well.

Do I need to choose:

ExFAT,
    Mac OS Extended (Jounaled),
    Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Jounaled) or
    Mac OS Extended?

Also in disk utility I have the option to format two "levels" of the same drive. Which do I need to format? (See attached image, there is the 2TB Buffalo External HDD Media and the HD-LBU2 - not sure which I should format).

Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Easiest approach? Open System Preferences -> Time Machine, and choose the drive as your backup drive. If it's not the correct format, it'll automatically format it for you.

jW

4. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks for your reply. What's the reason you say HD-LBU2?

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home. I think the drive is currently FAT32 formatted though. Is there only one possibility that TM will suggest?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The partition scheme is important too - this needs to be set to GPT (GUID Partition Table) for Intel Macs, and APM (Apple Partition Map) for PowerPC Macs.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, Time Machine will simply say that it will format it correctly. It will use the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format with a GUID partition map (or, as the poster above noted, APM for a PPC Mac), because Time Machine cannot run on any other type of volume.

jW

7. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Great! It worked fine and is backing up as we speak. (750 GB over USB 2 though is taking a while!)

Thanks everyone. :)

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If the OP is formatting the drive, it doesn't matter which one the OP selects. In fact, selecting the parent entry will give more options.

9. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

So I let Time Machine do the formatting for me as suggested above. It automatically chose the non-parent HD-LBU2 entry (which it renamed 'Time Machine Backups') with a Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) format and GUID partition table.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030