Which file format?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pfgpowell, Feb 15, 2009.

1. pfgpowell macrumors newbie

I bought iSkysoft Video Converter (recommended here) it convert footage taken on my mobile phone so that it could be imported into iMovie. Previously, iMovie couldn't do that as Quicktime 'refused to parse' the particular version of MP4 my mobile was priducing.

Works a treat and solved my problem, but I would like to know which file format to convert into. The one the convertor suggests, .afs means I get a bloody Flip4Mac watermark over everything which I cannot get rid of unless I buy a reg code, so I can't use that one.

So far I have tried 'mp4.avc' and one supposedly for YouTube, .flv. The first is fine, but the files are rather large, and the second will not import into iMovie. I know there is always a trade-off between file size and quality, so could any of you good people suggest useful file formats.

The iSkysoft software has different formats for iPhone, PSP etc. I just want to export footage to YouTube using the best quality for a small file size.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I'm not sure, but that isn't one I'd try. Instead, try MP4 or MOV. MOV is a container so perhaps the tool has options within it for MP4, H.264, DV, Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Look for those.

3. sbcrair macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried the iSkysoft software? Any problems or issues with this? I'm looking to convert .mov files to .flv (videos are too large to put on Youtube). Any other software you would recommend (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)?