which file management app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by QCassidy352, Aug 27, 2008.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

seems there are so many choices...
    files, caravan, filemagnet, mobilefinder, datacase are the ones I've found so far.

They seem to have many overlapping features, but also some that are unique to each app.

Does any of them allow you to password protect files, folders, or the app itself? Which allow landscape mode?

Any thoughts on which to go with would be appreciated!

2. weeman macrumors 6502

I have only tried datacase and it works flawlessly...doesnt allow you to password protect though...maybe someone else can chime in on his/her experiences with other apps

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks for the reply.

If it helps, one thing I don't really need is FTP. Also, it would be nice to not have to use another app on my mac (i.e. I'd like to be able to copy files with the finder).

4. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I wrote to the develop of DataCase asking for the ability to password protect volumes on the iPhone and he said that several people had requested it so they were working on it for a future version.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

None of the applications require another application. They all use something with the same concept as FTP (though Datacase uses something where it just appears in Finder...). [Note that I have no skill in networking at all, so I have no terminology]

I've only tried Datacase and can say that I like it a lot. The only thing I don't like is the UI and the icon (and password protection). The UI and icon is improved in the update that they already submitted to Apple. So I'm happy.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think DataCase is the only one that doesn't use FTP?

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the comments about some of them (filemagnet?) suggest that they require stand-alone uploaders on your mac. Whereas others say file transfer can just be done by drag-and-drop in the finder.

8. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, after looking at the websites for all of them, I think datacase wins. It's a couple bucks more expensive than some, but I think I'll be happier with it in the long run. Unfortunately, the app store is down? :(

edit: problem was on my end, not the app store.

9. NoOtherOne macrumors member

NoOtherOne

I use MobileFinder, and it serves my purposes.

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

edit: sorry, nevermind, I've got it working now.