Which files are okay to delete?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yakitunafish, Nov 13, 2009.

1. yakitunafish macrumors newbie

I suddenly only have 1.3 GB of space left in my old old old iBook G4 (from wayyyyyyy back in 2005)

The capacity is 28 GB or something like that, and I've somehow eaten up 26 GB of that 28.

I've downloaded OmniDiskSweeper to see what the heck is taking up so much space... and now I don't know what's okay to delete.

I'm constantly using everything on iMovie and Garageband, so obviously some sacrifices have to be made, but I least want 10-12 GB... (honestly, that's enough.)

Help?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So what did Omnidisk tell you was taking up a lot of space? You can delete your music or pictures, but I wouldn't touch the System files.

3. yakitunafish thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie, iWork, Garageband, and the loops.

Also, printers, and stuff like that, but I don't know what to do with the printers...

--

I feel as if my HD space is being eaten up... but I'm not sure by what, because honestly, with the stuff I have saved on my laptop, only 14-15 GB should be used up but way more is being used...

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do you have Safari 4, and do you use Top Sites? If so, that stores lots of images which you can purge. But, it means giving up Top Sites if you want to make that permanent. I cleaned mine out and gained about 500MB, then disabled Top Sites so it wouldn't save those images. So, I can give you the steps if you want.

5. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

How do you completely disable Top Sites?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
    Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now remove the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit. I saved over 500MB of disk space!

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I had that problem awhile back with my ibook g4 and I downloaded a program to delete all of the languages. That cleared up some space. I think it was called Monolingual. Do you use ichat? I got rid of that on mine too.

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Ah yeah cool I have done all that a while back, I just thought you meant there was a 'proper' way to turn it off and I was just doing it the long way!

Cheers,
    AnDy