Which Firewire 800 Hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bumzo1, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    I am deciding between 2 WD digital Hards drives the
    Western Digital My Book Studio 2 TB FireWire 800/400 or the
    Western Digital My Book Studio II - 2 TB (2 x 1 TB) USB 2.0/FireWire 400/FireWire 800
    I plan on using it for time machine, storing media files, and most importantly as a scratch disk for final cut. Which one will give me the most speed and the best reliability? I see that the dual drive one is set for raid 0 but can I change that to Raid 1 or just have it show as 2 1tb drives? Also are there any other 2tb drives in about the same price range, up to $250?
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I would go with the version with 2 x 1TB HDDs if it is possible to mount them as 2 x 1TB HDD without any RAID.
    Then you can have 1TB for backup and data storage, and the other 1TB for video editing.

Also you will never get RAID 0 sped with the Firewire interface, as FW800 has 65-75MB/s, and even a single S-ATA HDD with 7200RPM can reach more than that.

PS: The WD MyStudio HDDs are quite good, we have over ten of them at work and only once they gave us trouble, which was due to a corrupt header, something easily fixed.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I would prefer the single drive over the dual drive anyday.

Have you thought about a 1TB or 1.5TB USB 2 for backup (I have seen 1TB for $80 and 1.5TB for $100) and then a smaller FW800 drive for scratch?

How big of a scratch drive do you need? How about an 64 gig SSD drive ($150-200 + case)? Might cost a few dollars more... but smokin fast...

4. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well upgrading to 2tb is cheaper than buying 2 1tb drives and I just bought a new HD camcorder and in a little over a month I have eaten up 100gb.

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

There are a lot of good drives from all of the major manufacturers in that price range. I just got 2 new 1Tb drives. I had been looking at the WD but then went with Seagate. All of the negative consumer reviews of WD complained of backup/utility software that is written into the hardware and insists on loading. If you mind such a thing, as some do, then you might want to reconsider the WD.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean the software that came with the drive?

Once you put the WD through Disk Utility for a proper format session - needed Mac OS Extended instead of Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - the software was gone and never bothered us again.

7. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I am using WD Passport Studio and I have to say that the firewire controller on it sux big time....it is just not reliable enough. I am not too sure what the case is with the 'My Book' editions though...

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I was looking at the My Book line. What I read was that the software is written into the processing unit and cannot be erased. A couple of people said they reformatted and the software still tried to load. These folks said they never loaded anything from a disk. That is all I know since I never tried it myself.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Can you define "not reliable enough"? What exactly does that mean?

I have a WD Passport 2.5" 400 gig FW800 drive that has been in constant use for over a year now. perfect in every way...

Reformatted wehn I got it and no software ever came "back from the dead". My brother has bought a couple of the USB 2 versions, same thing. Re-format, software gone.

FWIW -- 100 GB a month = 10 months to fill a 1TB drive -- IF you were to keep filling it at that rate... which Im guessing you wont.

the WD you linked to is still a good deal.

heres a 1TB FW800 drive for $99 AR -- but its a "green drive" which probably means a WD green drive inside? Its slower than the WD Black drives, but about the same as the WB BLue drives. Im betting that the 2TB drive you linked to originally is a blue drive.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Fantom-Drives-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~7816075~pdp.fejdjga

they also have a 2TB version for $190 AR: http://www.macmall.com/p/Fantom-Drives-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~7819677~pdp.ffadahe