which firewire cable to buy to transfer data to my new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jpro, Nov 1, 2010.

  1. jpro macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2010

    I need to buy a firewire cable so I can transfer photos and my itunes library from my older macbook to my new imac. I want to buy the cable from monoprice but I am confused by the number of options I have when searching. I get results that have 4, 6, and 9 pin options. Do I need the 9 to 9 pin cable? 6 to 6 pin? Some other combination? My macbook is around 4 years old, pre-leopard, osx 10.4.x. The iMac is brand new.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. spinnerlys Guest


    Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Either get a 6-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable, as that MBP definitely has a Firewire 400 port (6-pin) and the current Macs only have a FW 800 port (9-pin). If that MBP has a FW 800 port, a 9-pin to 9-pin cable will give you double the transfer rate.



    Though the first MBP model (January and February 2006) didn't have a Firewire 800 port, even though the previous PowerBook had one.


    The 17" MBP (April 2006) and the 15" MBPs released in October 2006 had the FW 800 port again.
  3. imeridian macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2010
    You need a 9-6 pin "bilingual" cable, such as item 331 or 3542.
  4. jpro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2010
    Just the info I needed. Thanks a lot everybody.

Share This Page