Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Hi,

I need to buy a firewire cable so I can transfer photos and my itunes library from my older macbook to my new imac. I want to buy the cable from monoprice but I am confused by the number of options I have when searching. I get results that have 4, 6, and 9 pin options. Do I need the 9 to 9 pin cable? 6 to 6 pin? Some other combination? My macbook is around 4 years old, pre-leopard, osx 10.4.x. The iMac is brand new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Either get a 6-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable, as that MBP definitely has a Firewire 400 port (6-pin) and the current Macs only have a FW 800 port (9-pin). If that MBP has a FW 800 port, a 9-pin to 9-pin cable will give you double the transfer rate.

FWIREPIN.GIF

mac-book-pro-ports.jpg

Though the first MBP model (January and February 2006) didn't have a Firewire 800 port, even though the previous PowerBook had one.

Apple-macbook_connections0110.jpg

The 17" MBP (April 2006) and the 15" MBPs released in October 2006 had the FW 800 port again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.