Which FireWire cable to use to connect MacBook to iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ardoptres, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Ardoptres macrumors regular

I need a FireWire cable to connect my 2008 MacBook Pro 15,4" to my 2008 iMac 24" so i can use the MB as an external HD (Target Disk Mode).

There are a lot of different FireWire cables out there, but I don't know which one to buy.

Is it possible to use an ethernet cable?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

I hoped someone would know which cable i should buy based on the computor models. The both have the same FireWire connector. I really can't see which one i should buy based on the pictures on wikipedia. It doesn't look like any of them would fit.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Your iMac has 2 Firewire ports, FW400 and FW800.

Assuming your MBP is a mid-2009 model?

It has FW800 only.

So you need a 9 pin to 9 pin: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301

Theres really no need for a FW cable, just connect them both via an ethernet cable and turn on file sharing and they should be able to see each other.

5. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

My MBP is from 2008.

I think i have an ethernet cable somewhere, i'll try that. thanks.

6. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

I tried an ethernet cable, but mine didn't work. Seems like it has to be a crossed one.

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

As techound1 says, Target Disk mode requires firewire.

It's much easier than you seem to be thinking.

My early 2008 MBP has both FW800 and FW400. I don't have a 24" iMac to look at, but I'd bet it has FW800 also. You could look it up.

Just get a FW800-FW800 cable, and you'll be good.

But as I said, the crucial thing for Target Disk is FW -- it's the only option.

8. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed it was easy. I just didn't know what the connectors were called, and wondered if it was possible to use ethernet instead. Now i know FW is the only option. :)
    I am going to buy a 9 pin to 9 pin cable. £4 incl. shipping on eBay seems alright.

9. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I have the first 24" white iMac and latest 13" MBP and was in your exact situation. FW800 to FW800 cable is what is required. Will come in very handy. I *thought* I had got a bargain on eBay - until I got it. It was FW800 9pin to FW400 4pin ( the small version not on Apple stuff). I re checked the seller and it turns out that I must be blind. Good price though for a quality lead.

So many FW cables on eBay I must have been dizzy. As it happens I use it for my old Sony Camcorder - makes me feel like it was not a waste. I do not find the new FW800 any faster than my old FW400 camcorder lead ;)

In the end I has a brain wave and transferred all my music, pics and videos etc. from the iMac to the new MBP using my TimeMachine backup portable USB drive. :)

Still after a FW800 9pin lead. Be careful and read all the advert details. Not that many 9pin to 9pin when I was looking.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Yeah, sure, you need a FW cable for TDM, but if you just want to get data off your MBP, or just share data from it, theres no need to use TDM.

Just a regular ethernet cable, crossover isnt necessary.

System Prefs >> Sharing >> File Sharing

Finder >> Got to server >> choose your MBP

11. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

I want to use Time Machine on my MBP :)

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

So you are using the MBP as an external HD for use with Time Machine on the iMac?

Makes no practical sense to me, but I guess it is possible to do with the firewire and TDM.

13. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.

I know it would be better to use an actual external HD, but I currently don't have the funds to purchase one.

14. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I connected my Macbook Pro to an iMac via Target Disc Mode just yesterday using Firewire.

If it's a new Macbook Pro, you'll have Firewire 800. So get a FireWire 800 cable. It's absurdly easy.