Which firewire Cable?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by UberKyle, Feb 5, 2009.

1. UberKyle macrumors newbie

So I'd been using a mac Pro at school to edit video on.

Today I received my lovely new 15in" MBP and it is gorgeous. I wanted to start messing around with some video I wanted to work on, and I got my equipment out, and got my camera all ready, took my firewire cable to plug it into my computer to start capturing a tape... and the firewire port is different!

So what pin# of firewire do I need to get? I'm not sure what I have right now, but it fits into the small hole on my canon XL-1s camera, and plugged into the typical firewire port I'm used to seeing on mac pros and other computers.... so what do I need to connect to my new MBP?

Anyone have a link to the cheapest purchasing options on the interwebs, I know how Best Buy jacks up the prices of connecting cables?

What a bummer of a Thursday night to have a new computer, and no video to edit. Can you imagine anything much worse?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The new MBPs only have FW800 ports. You need a FW800 to FW400 4-pin cable to connect to your camera. Or buy a FW800 adapter for your existing FW cable.

Lethal

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

5. dlegend macrumors 6502

monoprice.com has good prices. Quick shipping too!