Which Firewire Chipset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DonM1, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DonM1 macrumors newbie

All:
    How can I determine the manufacturer of the firewire chipset on my new 13" MacBook Pro? I am having some difficulty getting pro audio DAC's to work on the bootcamp side of my MBP and want to isolate the issue.

Below are the specs - thanks in advance for your assistance!

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

-D

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Unless Apple changed it for the current revision, it uses an Agere chipset, which I'm told can be problematic.

3. DonM1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bill:
    Thanks for the quick response - I realize you're a busy guy... anyway. I have a two year old MBP 17" and very heavy - the FW audio device I'm trying to use on my new (much lighter) MBP works fine on my other MBP. Might that not be the Agere CS?

Thanks.
    -D

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The old non-unibody Macbook Pro's use the legendary, non problematic but very expensive TI chipset.

It was cut out for cost reasons (as we believe it now).

If you want the (very) ugly truth see this

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The older MacBook Pro (pre-unibody) used a Texas Instruments firewire chipset. I'm afraid I can't help you troubleshoot your DAC with the new MBP, but I know for a fact that there are many on this board that at the very least have some answers.

6. DonM1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys:
    Thanks for responding. I had already posted over at Gearslutz hoping there would be some folks with my specific concerns on the pro audio side. So thanks for the link. I could 'live' with a USB interface if I had to - but I really prefer Firewire since I own several. Oddly enough there are still some devices not properly installing under Windows - specifically the onboard audio isn't working - I've got to resolve that as well.

-D