Which firmware would you update to?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KentuckyHouse, Aug 17, 2011.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm thinking of restoring my 3GS that's still on 4.0. It's acting a little odd lately, so I figured a fresh restore might be in order. Here's the question, though...

Which firmware would you update to if you were in my situation? Keep in mind, I'll want to re-jailbreak it, so it has to be one of the firmwares with an untethered jailbreak.

I've got my shsh's from 3.1.3 all the way up to 4.3.5, so I'm good to go. Just trying to get a feel for which firmware people (that jailbreak) prefer. Feel free to share any experiences you've had. :D

Oh, and keeping my baseband isn't a priority for me (I don't plan on selling the 3GS once I upgrade to the next iPhone).

2. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I use 4.3.3 and it works beautifully, Its the most up to date firmware that still has an untethered jailbreak.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If baseband is a priority, 4.2.1, because you avoid the one signal bar issue. But in your case it isn't, so 4.3.3 is probably fine.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

4.3.3 - I know it was mentioned already, but just hammering that one in.

I'd also like to say, good job getting your blobs for all the firmware versions.

5. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks guys (and IrishVixen :D). I figured either 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 would be the ones brought up, but I wanted to make sure before upgrading. Of course, since I've got all my blobs, I could always downgrade...lol.

I may give 4.2.1 a go first and see how that goes. I'm really just trying to keep things working smoothly until iOS5 comes out (and hopefully the next iPhone with it!)

Thanks again!

6. polzii macrumors 6502

I upgraded one of my Phones from 4.1 to 4.3.3 but have the single reception bar issue and battery drain of 10-15% overnight. Also 4.3.3 causes freezing of once in a while. For example, when I press and hold an icon to make it wiggle, it takes 4 or 5 seconds to start wiggling. Sometimes, when I'm selecting a wallpaper for the springboard (in the photos app) the phone freezes for 4-5 seconds. I have very few tweaks installed now compared to when I had 4.1 but it may be due to a tweak. Another issue is theming is a bit more cumbersome in 4.3.3

Im seriously considering going to 4.2.1 due to these annoyances.

7. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks, polzii. These are exactly the things I was hoping to hear. Looks like I'll be upgrading to 4.2.1 then.

I think I know the answer to this, but the themes are pretty much the same between iOS4 and 4.2.1, right? For instance, the "~iphone" stuff I've seen on some icon names...that didn't show up until after 4.2.1, right?

Thanks for all the advice guys. :D

8. TJone macrumors 6502a

I have that problem too and I am on 4.2.1. I plan on staying on 4.2.1 for the near future since it works well and will probably get the iPhone 4S or 5 when it is released and keep the 4 as my international phone since it is unlocked.

9. polzii macrumors 6502

@KentuckyHouse, you're welcome

@TJone Damn, guess I should have stayed on 4.1 then :p. thanks for posting your experience with 4.2.1

10. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I would still preserve your BB since you still have an unlockable one. Requires little to no effort on your part and you never know when you might be needing it.

11. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

That's a good point. And you're right, it's easy to do. :D