Which folders to backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by welshgje, Aug 17, 2011.

1. welshgje macrumors newbie

Afternoon,

Having come from a Windows background performing a clean install of the OS was simple regarding which user folders to back up. I simply copied MyDocuments, etc to an external drive.

I used to do this every six months.

Now the time has come after two years to clean my iMac. I have an external drive ready but it cannot be turned into a Time Machine. So could someone tell me which folders I needto drag over to back them up?

Is it simply a case of backing up my User folder and this will bring overmy music, pictures etc? I'm not bothered about configuration settings.

Many thanks

Gareth

2. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Depends on what you want..if you want the same stuff of the "my documents folder" the user folder will catch all that + applications i believe.

You can also just individually backup, "documents, music, pictures, downloads."

I know you say you don't want settings, but what about bookmarks? adium contact lists+messages? (ichat messages should be saved in documents, but not adium). etc. those individual apps need to be "backed up" or exported to another file.