Which format does iMovie 09 import video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rgarjr, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have a video that is AVI format and I want to play around (practice) with it on iMovie. I know it can't import any video, has to be a certain format.

Which format can I convert it to using Handbrake?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Better use MPEG Streamclip, as it exports more formats like .mov encoded with the Apple DV (PAL or NTSC) codec, which is suited better for editing than the choices Handbrake gives you (.h264 is highly compressed, something video editing software doesn't like).

www.squared5.com

3. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I'm exporting from LS-Maker into .avi... but it wants to know what height and width MANUALLY? (I have to type in different figures manually, it doesn't have nice headings preconfigured as when I'm sharing movies from iMovie).

Any hints? I need to export to 3*4 picture format at the best quality I can so I can reimport from the dreaded (but free) LS-Maker on my PC to reimport onto my mac's beautiful iMovie.

Where do I find the standard preconfigured list of acceptable dimensions for .avi files at different sizes? (I need it as large as possible in the normal "Large" formats for iMovie, but not HD as my original camera was not HD).

I hope the above is clear, as I'm not sure of the language of video to ask the questions with the right terms? :(