Which format/encoder do you prefer for preserving DVDs in original format?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kavika411, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks for reading this. I am starting the process of backing up all of my DVDs. Until I feel more comfortable with compression/surround sound/AppleTV issues, my goal is to simply to create a lossless version of each DVD's main feature. (Hard disk space is not an issue.) In other words, it is not important to me that the movie be viewable in quicktime, in iTunes, on my iPod, etc.; I will convert the files some time down the road. I just want to know what you guys prefer for copying a DVD with the goal being not to lose any quality, including surround. I know a lot of people like mactheripper, but it won't rip Sony DVDs apparently and some posts indicate mactheripper is no longer being updated. My understanding of handbrake is that it will not create a lossless file.

Thank you for your recommendations.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest looking into MacTheRipper since it is being updated but you might have to donate to get the latest releases.

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize there was a new mactheripper that you can get with a donation. It's not exactly clear how to make a donation, but I've followed the instructions they give on sending them an email. Thanks again.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

At worst it's a few e-mails and getting into contact.