Which format on disk utility should I use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tpcollins, Dec 24, 2015.

1. tpcollins macrumors member

My Canon point n' shoot and my Macbook Pro always seem to be in conflict when uploading the SD card. At times I have to insert the card several times to get the upload process to start. Afterwards I keep the photos instead of deleting them and wait until I put the card back into the camera to format it. But after awhile I'll get a memory card error on the camera and it will not allow me to format it.

In the disk utility feature, is there a preferred format I use to restore the card so it will work better on both devices? Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've found that a $10 USB3 card reader often seems more reliable than using the MacBook's internal SD slot. Don't know why, it "just is what it is".

In my experience, when I've taken a lot of shots and want to "clean them from the card", I do this:
    1. Put SD card into card reader
    2. Connect reader to Mac, let icon mount on desktop
    3. Create a -new folder- on the desktop, with an appropriate name for the photos that will be placed into it
    4. Open the icon for the SD card, navigate to where the pics are
    5. Either "shift-click" to select an entire block of pics, or "command-click" to select pics individually
    6. I now hold down the Command key and drag the selected pics and "drop them" into the new folder on the desktop.
    7. Move or copy the folder to my "media" partition, into my camera file archives.

When you "command click", the Mac should "move" the files -- that is, first copy them to the target location, and then delete the images from the card.

Sometimes this doesn't work as it should. In that case, I just copy the files, then delete them "manually" from the SD card.

This has worked for me and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the card "in the camera"...

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't have any options here. You will need to use whatever format the camera uses (usually FAT32). Just format the card in the camera and if it still gives you the errors even in the camera after that you likely have a bad card.