Which format to play from NAS through ATV3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Giuanniello, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

I have a bunch of .avi files I want to reproduce out of a NAS through my ATV3, am going to use HandBreak to convert, which is the best output to preserve quality which better works with ATV?

Thank you

2. OsloBergen macrumors member

Everyone has their own solution to what the "best" HandBrake setting is. However, it's all subjective. I would start with the AppleTV 3 preset and see if it works for you. If you want to dive in and start tweaking on your own I would definitely suggest reading about the settings and what they do in their handy guide. There is quite a bit you can do and knowing about it before hand will help.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I don't think there is any format that will allow the AppleTV to directly play files stored on a NAS. There are some hacks that involve using an iOS device as an intermediary. But to use the standard user interface on the Apple TV, you need to put the files in iTunes. That could be done by putting your iTunes library on the NAS but your computer would have to be on and there are some other pitfalls to having the library on a network drive.

4. Fabian90 macrumors regular

Try AirVideo HD and you won't have to go through all that hassle. :)

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike