Which free printer? Need advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by basqarl, Nov 24, 2007.

1. basqarl macrumors regular

:confused:

So, I'm about to order my MBP online instead of waiting, waiting, waiting for the next best thing to come along.

Which free printer would you recommend under the following circumstances?

--Amateur photographer wanting excellent photo images

--Print numerous word documents, spreadsheets, etc.

--Other graphics--cartooning, scrapbooking, etc.

--Would love something that combines fax and/or flatbed scanner-- but a combo might mean lesser quality on one of the options...

--Have had good luck with older (now ancient) HP inkjets in the past

Any thoughts from those with good (or not-so-good) experience with printers? Would prefer not to take out 2nd mortgage to purchase this printer, btw.

Thanks!

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

What are the choices? For a free printer, I would imagine the difference in print quality wouldn't be that great. The HP I bought several years ago is still doing fine, although I don't do a lot of heavy photo printing.

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My family has had very good luck with HP printers. You will notice most businesses have them as well.

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Which free printer? Need advice...

I agree.

HP printers are a step ahead in quality.

But the biggest difference, in my opinion is the cost of ink cartridges. In my comparison between Epson, and HP, the HP cartridges are better, because they last longer, and are cheaper.

5. atthecross macrumors 6502

Brother brand printers are great printers but fly under most people's radar.

And as a former HP employee, I have normally would have said go HP because of superior customer service/support, but would have to say that is no longer a determining factor as their service/support has declined to be on par with most and lower than others

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I have an HP 5940, I'm not sure if it's in the deal but it was a cheap (<£60) printer and it's absolutely amazing. I've had it for over a year, and in that time I've printed at least 600 pages and I'm still on the first cartridges. I don't understand how they're lasting so long.