which free-space indicator to believe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayres, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ayres macrumors regular

hi all, this has been bugging me for a while, but i'm just now deciding to look into it.

is it me or do the itunes available free space indicator and the free space indicator on the phone's general info menu not match?

every time i have plugged the phone into the computer, itunes gives me a different reading than what the phone shows.

does this happen to anyone else? i did some quick searching, but nothing showed up on this forum.

so which one to believe? and more importantly, why? if itunes is less accurate, what is it reading/measuring that is causing it to be less accurate?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How far off are the readings, KB? MB? GB?

3. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

it varies... but last time i checked, itunes read ~7gb, and iphone read 2.8gb.

yeah, waaaaaay off.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have the same problem, my guess is that the phone would be more accurate than iTunes.

iTunes says .74gb free

[​IMG]

My iPhone says 2.1 Gb

[​IMG]

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have this similar situation as well, but I think mine is a bit more severe. iTunes is just a bit wonky or something; I have no idea where all that data that's being added on is. I only have a select number of songs locally stored in my iPhone that take up probably 30GB. It seems like it's adding as much of my library as it can. Who knows? Thats why I don't trust it and only trust the one in the iPhone as it is the most accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

wow! thanks for posting with images... yes, this is somewhat minor, but it is very surprising from a company known for looking after the minute details.

7. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Same happens to me. From what I noticed with my situation, is it has to do with the photos being synced. iTunes is showing the actual size of the photo on my MBP, while the iPhone is showing the compressed/optimized file size of the photo explaining the difference in available space.

8. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I get the same thing. Mine is due to the two navigation programs I have loaded on my phones.

In iTunes they are listed as 1GB + programs. I download what I actually need so it's far less.

iTunes still lists it as 1GB + programs, so iTunes thinks my phone is at 4GB over capacity