Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello,

I play a Steam game every now and then. I used the wired xbox 360 controller (with the driver) for years. Worked perfectly fine on my classic Mac Pro. It doesn't work any longer on my new Mac Mini M2Pro. I bought a new one, the xbox wireless controller X as I read it would work on newer Macs. I'm sorry to say it doesn't. My Mac doesn't see it. Steam doesn't see it.

So which controller will work with a M2 Mac (and Steam)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm using a wireless xBox controller. It lists everything but macOS as compatible, but it works just fine.

Reactions: Irishman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hello,

I play a Steam game every now and then. I used the wired xbox 360 controller (with the driver) for years. Worked perfectly fine on my classic Mac Pro. It doesn't work any longer on my new Mac Mini M2Pro. I bought a new one, the xbox wireless controller X as I read it would work on newer Macs. I'm sorry to say it doesn't. My Mac doesn't see it. Steam doesn't see it.

So which controller will work with a M2 Mac (and Steam)?

Thanks!
PS5 controllers work. I have a 8-bitdo Switch controller than macOS sees but not all games work with it.

The Series X controller should work (check to see if your phone sees it when put in pairing mode).

Reactions: Levina and Irishman

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Series X controller should work, you can either use it wired or in Bluetooth mode. You have to hold the pair button for at least 3 seconds to put it in Bluetooth mode. The Xbox logo flashing will change to signify that.

Reactions: Levina

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
PS5 controllers work. I have a 8-bitdo Switch controller than macOS sees but not all games work with it.

The Series X controller should work (check to see if your phone sees it when put in pairing mode).

Series X controller should work, you can either use it wired or in Bluetooth mode. You have to hold the pair button for at least 3 seconds to put it in Bluetooth mode. The Xbox logo flashing will change to signify that.

Ah, okay. Hold the pair button!! I will try that. Thank you both.

I'll report back later.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Okay, pairing the controller and the Mac was successful. Steam's test was also successful. And sure enough, it works navigating from game to game and it opens a game but that's where it ends. It does nothing in the games, despite Steam telling me the controller should work very well with them.

It's the same on my iPad. Navigating from app to app works, opening an app works. But that's it.

Could it be a firmware update I need to do? I hope not because it can't be done on a Mac.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Okay, pairing the controller and the Mac was successful. Steam's test was also successful. And sure enough, it works navigating from game to game and it opens a game but that's where it ends. It does nothing in the games, despite Steam telling me the controller should work very well with them.

It's the same on my iPad. Navigating from app to app works, opening an app works. But that's it.

Could it be a firmware update I need to do? I hope not because it can't be done on a Mac.
Try toggling Steam input for the Xbox controller. I remember some games not recognizing it until I did that.

Reactions: Levina
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.