which game should i buy....?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Chic0, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

I recently finished Dead Space. Absolutely loved it. Great game.

I'm thinking of buying a new game but can't decide on which one.

My choice is between Tomb Raider Underworld, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 or Resistance 2. Which one would you guys recommend? I just fancy a new shooter, that I'm not going to get bored of after a week or so.

Also, i know it completely different to the others, but is Motorstorm Pacific Rift worth a purchase?

Cheers

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Fallout isn't a shooter. It's an RPG with a shooter skin, just fyi. And Tomb Raider has never had good shooting mechanics and by all accounts, neither does Lara's latest outing.

3. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like it between Resistance 2 and Far Cry 2......... which one...?

4. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Yeah, if you want a good shooter, it will probably come down to Resistance or Far Cry.

Far Cry 2 = slower paced, lots of sneaking if you wish, very realistic setting in Africa, lots of exploring, plus level editor.

Resistance 2 = well, I haven't played it, but judging from what I have read and having played the first one, it's more fast-paced, linear, and action-heavy, with fun innovative weapons

I guess it comes down to which style you prefer. To me, Far Cry 2 is just about the perfect shooter. But to many, it will be too slow-paced, roaming through the open landscape and all. I would say that Resistance probably is the better online multiplayer experience though, if that is important to you.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If you're looking specifically for a "shooter," you should get Resistance 2.

And don't forget about Orange Box.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go for Fallout 3, my girlfriend just got the collectors edition PC one and she's pretty much hooked. Farcry 2 is just brilliant though. It plays like nothing else out there, yes its slow paced but it's very deep and rewarding. R2 is too linear for my liking but a good romp if you like more basic but more action-packed FPS games.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe you should on the PS3. Orange Box on PS3 is a really crappy port with a horrendous framerate on pretty much all the individual games. (down to 5fps at times)

Resistance 2 is very good, with some great set pieces, however I still prefer the first game overall. However Mulitplayer on resistance 2 is excellent fun.

Far Cry 2 is good too, but the structure of the game belies the simplicity beneath, and I found the experience to be a little shallow. AI on the PS3 version is patchy at times too. Graphics are good, and the framerate holds up for the most part too.

FallOut 3 is a great game, if not a little F'UGLY and with some bad framerate hiccups on the PS3 however the strength of the game keeps you playing.

TombRaider Underworld is a good adventure game, but it's weakest points are it's fighting sections (especially against those bloody tigers)

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Fallout 3 is a very good game but its not a shooter per say.
    R2 is a really good FPS and co-op/multiplayer is rather fun.

Note: MRU, stop dissing the Orange box....its a really good package even on the PS3 but it is the inferior version of the 3...TF2 alone is worth it.

Bless

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I voted for Fallout 3 and what others have all said.

I loved Dead Space also. I'm assuming you've played Resident Evil 4, if not it's worth it

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you want a shooter get Resistance 2. I am not a huge FPS fan, however I have had a lot of fun playing Resistance 2.

If you want Oblivion with guns go for Fallout 3 but it is NOT a shooter by any means. Also be prepared, Fallout is addictive and a huge time waster :D

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, fallout 3 is a good game but if you're looking for shooter and not a hybrid game you'll probably have more fun with resistance.

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

You know, reading that everywhere kept me from buying the game for the longest time. When I finally did get it, I really couldn't see what the big deal was. I have run into maybe ONE instance where the framerate dips enough to affect gameplay, for maybe 3 seconds. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth. Maybe not as smooth as the 360 version, but it's really nowhere near as bad as everyone was saying.

Good collection of great games for a bargain price - highly recommended by me!

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Never could get into TF2 at all, regardless of what system I played the game on.

And don't get me wrong, I love Portal and all the HL2 episodes so I'm not dissing Orange box, just the PS3 port.

It's only when I played the game side by side with the 360 version that I really noticed the deficiencies in the PS3 version, and I found HL2 episode 2 to be the worst effected by frame rate drops. Maybe because there was more post processing filters applied to the last episode than in the previous ones.

Like I say I loved the games, but was certainly disappointed with the port, especially as it was the longest of the three to come out as well, they could have used that extra time to iron out those flaws.

14. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Sure enough, one shouldn't pick the PS3 port over the other versions. But if the PS3 is the only console in the household, there really is no reason not to pick up the Orange Box IMO. It may perform badly in comparison, but the performance is still pretty solid, and definitely not bad enough to make someone miss out on this great compilation.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is the PS3 TF2 getting the updates - new maps, new weapons and modes etc? I heard the 360 version might eventually get them but there's no estimated release.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I don't think were getting it to be honest. I play TF2 everyday over PSN and only one problem I encounter is the stupid bug that forces the match into sudden death but other than that its still solid on the PS3.

Taustin, do you play TF2? we gotta play sometime man....I'm a mean engineer;)

Bless

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I never really got into TF2 to be honest, but I've been meaning to give it another shot sometime. Maybe over the holidays... Go ahead and add me, and we'll get together sometime. PSN: Tuffnik

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I guess your right.. :)

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Indeed. I have Orange Box for the PS3 and it's not as bad in performance as others make it out to be. It's a great value and the games, themselves, are epic. Probably the most fun I've had in any shooter in many years.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

how anyone can play Half-Life on a console makes my brain hurt...

21. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Not everyone has a gaming pc, simple as that. :) I'd prefer mouse/keyboard as well, but I'll take what I can get.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Snob....I don't see the big deal really. I know everyone thinks the PC controls are superior and we all know PC graphics are better but what else makes it so bad to play on console?

waiting for a Valve lovers to respond;)

Bless

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't call my X1600 iMac a gaming machine either but it runs TF2 at native res on the external 20" monitor :) you can always be sure a Valve game will run on older hardware, even if you have to force older DirectX modes (which is great letting my ancient machines run new games).

24. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So while we are derailing this thread....has the OP decided which game he is going to pick up?

25. selena12321, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member