Which GB model has best resale value?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    For those who plan on buying an iPad 2 and selling it for an iPad 3 or iPad 4, which GB model holds it's price best?

I would personally thing the 16gb retains its value the best.

Any experieces from original iPad on resale value?

2. nmills macrumors regular

They're generally all the same, I think. Most go for about $50 less than Apple sells them.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

16GB but don't buy this as an investment. Resale value is irrelevant if you buy a model that is too small for your needs and you are never happy with it. If 16G works for you great, but don't force it.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

The biggest factor in maximizing resale is timing. I sold my Launch Day 32GB for zero loss because I dumped it the weekend before the announcement. But I checked ebay recently and the $500/600/700 original models now sell for around
    $310/340/370. So the biggest loss is getting the 64GB because it has the most distance to drop and the best value if you plan on selling is the 16GB.

As for buying with the intent on reselling. Regularly i'd say thats foolish because youre robbing yourself of the experience, but in this case I'm thinking the same thing. Both the iPad and iPad 2 seem to be interim products that will be completely eclipsed by the iPad 3. So if you're planning on upgrading next year then it makes sense to consider potential resale value before you go to the store and make a short term investment.

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    how in the world did u pull that off? Who would be a year old product for the same price they could buy it in a store brand new? Regardless of the impending refresh.

6. alt macrumors regular

Because people on ebay are stupid. (assuming this was the method used)

I had the first 13'' unibody macbook...sold it on ebay 8 months later for slightly more than I paid for it :D

7. Fireworld macrumors member

I'm going on vacation overseas this summer for 5 months (until Sep) I plan to sell my iPad 2 there. The first iPad is valued at $1400 so the iPad 2 should net me around $2000. 64 3g model.

EDIT: I geuss it all depends where you're gonna sell it.

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

64G 3G will fetch the most resale value, but then again it is the most expensive outright. As to which model will loose the lest value, which I think is what you mean will be the 32g. It will be harder to sell the 16g because there will be so many of them around, and selling second hand base models will always be harder than selling used higher spec models. Cars, iPads, doesn't matter

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

It's hard to say now because I think TONS of people are trying to sell their iPads too late. I had the oppurtiny to buy a two month old 32gb wifi for $300 last night. Brand new condition and all. If people were smart they would have sold it a few weeks ago to get the most back.

10. WLS macrumors 65816

The 16GB for sure, but it depends on where you sell it. On ebay you can get a higher price but you may have to send it out of the country and risk being conned. On CL it is cheapest sells, so you lose less on the 16, although more memory models may get more cash but again not as much as you spent. The used market collapse was unprecedented for an Apple product and it was made worse by Apple discounting the iPad $100. I suspect once the retail supply of iPad1's runs out there will be a modest rise in prices but continuing pressure from those buying the new one and selling their old one will continue to depress the market value.
    This is bound to be repeated with the iPad3 so be warned.
    I remember in another thread some smug guy was saying the people who sold their iPads early would regret that. It's clear that those who are regretting are those who did not move quickly enough.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

Current Gazelle iPad values (for mint condition iPad 1):

16 GB WiFi: $300 ($199 decrease)
    16 GB 3G: $340 ($289)
    32 GB WiFi: $340 ($259)
    32 GB 3G: $380 ($349)
    64 GB WiFi: $405 ($294)
    64 GB 3G: $530 ($299)

So in terms of dollar lost, 16 GB iPad has the best resale value. So if you are purchasing iPad 2 with resale in mind, I would get the cheapest one. If iPhone 3GS is anything to go by, color shouldn't have much impact.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good info. Gazelle seems like a good place to see values since they turn around and resell the item.

Places like eBay and Craigslist will vary more so it's harder to do a comparison.

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

hmm interesting post of prices. the moderators deleted a post I had about selling prices, but here goes.
    People have left out the actual model getting the highest prices no matter what GB.
    If you have the original iPad UNLIMITED DATA plan you will see a little gold mine. Just the sims are going for more than most ipads. and the SIMS work in the ipad 2 and are transferable to 3rd parties from all the info I;m getting. whether ATT will clamp down, don't know, but now they are allowing it.
    just sayin...
    oh yea, I own a 32 with Unlimited. no I'm not selling it....here.