Which gen iPhone should I choose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calexandre, Sep 21, 2008.

1. calexandre macrumors newbie

First, apologies if this exact query has been posted. I did my best to search for it, and saw some posts on when to upgrade, but not on buying a 2g vs. 3g outright.

So: I'm in need of some advice on whether to buy a new legally unlocked 3g iphone (about 650-700 euros) or a lightly used, illegally unlocked 2g (around 350-400 euros). I can afford either option, BUT I don't want to pay 300 euros more if it won't be 300 euros more useful to me-- which is why I'm looking for your opinions. While I know this is somewhat a subjective matter, I would really like to hear other people's thoughts.

I swap between residences in Germany and the US, and have pay-as-you-go SIMs for both countries (T-Mobile and Simyo, respectively)-- hence the need to avoid contracts. I've been using a phone that works on Edge, and don't really have any complaints about the data service in Germany (in the US it's irrelevant, as T-Mobile won't give me data with my prepay). I mostly use my phone for the calendar function, to look up the occasional address and google map on the go, check my email, and send texts. I'm also looking forward to being able to use my iPhone as a replacement for my little 3g nano.

I think I'd probably be fine with the 2g iPhone, based on my usage habits. But then, perhaps what one doesn't know *can* hurt one-- to that end, I'm having a tough time figuring out whether 3g speeds and GPS would be such a magical experience that I'd pick the new iPhone in a minute, if I only knew what I were missing.

Thoughts, or just a quick "2g" or "3g" appreciated. :)

2. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I would tend to agree. I had the same option (almost) where my friend would sell me his 2g iPhone, and I have decided to go with the 3G. You've still got a warranty, and the extras features may come in handy, you never know. Better to get something new and in top shape than an old piece of technology.

3. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

i'd go with the 3g

i have the 3g, and find the internet speeds a bit annoying.. i can't even imagine the 2g speeds.

and the gps comes in real handy sometimes

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I did a comparison review between the two versions of the iPhone and came to the conclusion that the 3G isn't really that much of an upgrade from the 2G version. But I did find that the 3G version has much better call audio quality (when operating on a 3G network, of course), so if call quality matters to you, and you want GPS, the 3G will be a better bet for you. Otherwise, I still miss my first-generation iPhone (which will be off to its new owner tomorrow, courtesy of eBay :( )

Crazydrumma has a point about the warranty, though - if you rely on your phone a lot and want to ensure you get support easily, you may want to opt for the 3G to get the most warranty coverage from the start. If you buy a new-enough first-generation iPhone, this may not be a problem, either, though you'll have to "reverse" the unlocking before you bring it in for service by restoring it - this might be more hassle than you want to go through if you're in a hurry. Of course, you can buy the extended Applecare warranty if this is a concern for you for the 3G iPhone or the first-generation if it's still under warranty when you get it.

5. calexandre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think even after reading r6girl's thorough comparison, the warranty/service issue has convinced me to go 3g-- it would be nice to have the phone serviced without relocking it, and it's probably less stressful to update to new firmware when you aren't worried about scuttling the unlock or jailbreak. So it looks like I'm off to Prague tomorrow to pick up the 3g.

6. FunkyTang macrumors regular

7. crazydrumma macrumors regular

That is, of course, if the 32 GB model is in fact coming :D, if it is, that would be cool, but it's kind of all hear-say right now.

8. iphonecode macrumors member

9. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

If both the Edge iPhone and the 3G iPhone have the same firmware versions installed (2.1), do they have the same software features? One that I hadn't found yet is Exchange. Is that exclusive to the 3G or is it part of 2.1 on both platforms? Same question regarding PUSH e-mail on me.com. Thanks!