Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Which Gen of iPad is there to date?

daytona

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Haven't really followed the iPad but a family member has been wanting one. When I go to the Apple site, damn I can't make out which is which.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Haven't really followed the iPad but a family memebr has been wanting one. When I go to the Apple site, damn I can't make out which is which.

We are currently on the 3rd generation. When buying you choose between last years iPad 2 and the new one that Apple simply calls the iPad, which I think is dumb.

Comment

daytona

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks to you both. I should have read the thread that was in line after mine, I found a lot of info in the thread and I see something is coming down the line around Sept 12th.

Comment

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks to you both. I should have read the thread that was in line after mine, I found a lot of info in the thread and I see something is coming down the line around Sept 12th.

There may possibly be an iPad mini but the current 9.7" iPad will not be updated aside from a possible new dock connector.

Comment

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I would say iPad 2 has the best personality, but I heard she hasn't broke up with iPhone yet, he's such a stud. It's really up to you who you want to date :)

Comment

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Love the iPad 2. Great value right now.

The current iPad is pretty much the king of tablets right now. It's $100 more, and you can get it with higher memory (32gb and 64gb). If you plan on keeping the tablet for 2-3 years then pay a bit more and get the 32gb model.

The rumor going around is that there will be a 7 1/2 or 8" iPad Mini announced next month.

If you are on a budget, it might be worth while holding out for that one. It will be harder to type on (smaller key board on-screen) but a bit more portable and cheaper than the full-sized iPads. (If the rumors are true!)

Comment

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I don't remember the first gen having a number...
It didn't.

iPad first generation = iPad
iPad second generation = iPad 2
iPad third generation = iPad

You could argue, however, that the first-gen iPad was marketed as the "Apple iPad", whereas the current iPad is simply marketed as "iPad".

Comment

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
There will be a 4th generation iPad next year which I'm going to buy. I'd be silly if I bought one now.

Comment

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
There will be a 4th generation iPad next year which I'm going to buy. I'd be silly if I bought one now.

Yes you would be silly. You'd get to enjoy your iPad for a whole year before the unannounced product even shows up. Ridiculous!

Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
The joke is on you. I'm totally waiting for the 6th generation due in 2015.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.