Which generation iPhone will have 4G (LTE) network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, May 25, 2009.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

So, which generation iPhone do u guys think will have 4G aka LTE network? I think it will be the 6th generation iPhone, in 2011, if I'm counting the years right.

I don't know about the US but here in Sweden the major carriers will start building 4G network in next year, 2010.

...OR will :apple: be sloooow again and offer 4G in say, 2015? 2017?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 2010 iPhone will be LTE. LTE networks will begin to exist in the U.S. in 2010. Not this next one, but the one thereafter.

3. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

AT&T: 4G Network Rollout In 2011 (Posted 9 feb 09)
    I don't see how Apple could release the LTE in 2010 with these news.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And do you really think that Apple would wait until 2011 for what they can have in 2010?

5. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well, they waited to implement copy/paste, mms, ect. till here recently and thats been around more than 2 years.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes.

LTE will not be mature enough for mainstream devices until at least 2012. Look at BlackBerry...they just released their first 3G phone with the Bold.

And there is no way that Apple will move over to Verizon just to get LTE because it would mean greatly changing their device. It will need a CDMA radio because LTE will not have the coverage necessary and that CDMA radio makes it worthless in most parts of the world. Apple would most likely make it a world phone and include a GSM radio...making it quite ridiculous.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm-mmm. No CDMA. Straight LTE and GSM. The fact that it CAN work with Verizon's network will be happenstantial. It will still be with AT&T, but it will be ready before they are.

8. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would apple spend money on something that the customer cant use? By the time LTE actually is working (2011 by the looks of it) the chips that Apple invested in will be...well...old.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, they seem to be investing in making it so that the customer can't use the things for which they have paid.

Case in point: EVERYTHING THAT JAILBREAKING HAS LET US DO.

10. bigchief macrumors 6502a

LTE? Hell, 3G service is very limited in the US. It will be years before we see LTE as a standard service. Try 2014 or 2015, maybe if we're lucky.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then you're going to be waiting for a while.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why did they wait until 2008 to implement 3G when 3G was available in most major markets long before the first iPhone was released in 2007?

If 3G, copy/paste, MMS and 3rd party apps are any indication, Apple likes to wait to implement things.

13. Andruw91 macrumors regular

+1. Hope it isn't as bad as when AT&T went from TSM service to GSM. They told me that the service would improve in a few months when that happened. Had to switch service since I didn't want to drop tons of calls in that time frame like I was

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm going to go with, "Apple likes to control things and rewrite the future their own way until people whine long enough to be annoying and features are added to shut them up."

15. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha well don't take it personal, it's all business. Make a product that lacks a certain feature and everyone buys it, a year after, make an updated version so that the old owners buys that aswell. Jobs aint a stupid man.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

A bunch of rumors have been swirling about the new iPhone supporting faster 3G speeds, which go up to 7.2Mbps. Considering 3G is hardly available everywhere and is a battery sucker on current iPhones, I don't see why Apple would be in any hurry to add this. Having 4G available on your cell phone right now is about as useful as owning an HD DVD player.

17. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

The original iPhone didn't have 3G even though 3G was pretty prominent. Of course, one could argue that this was to fuel sales for the 3G iPhone.

2011 at the earliest.

The network won't be ready before then at all. A lot of people will be upset if Apple's marketing these faster speeds and they don't read the small print (only work in Boston etc.)

18. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Who's to say just because AT&T has the LTE network up by 2011 that Apple will necessarily embrace it then as well? A number of major markets already had AT&T's 3G networks by the time the first iPhone was intro'd in 2007. How long did it take Apple to release a phone that took advantage of that?

19. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Thinking that the iPhone 3G just came out last year. I don't think we will see it until 2012.

20. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

What, is the current iPhone 3G not able to do 7.2 mbit/s? My carrier just upped their 3G network to 10 mbit/s.
    True. Apple probably wont use LTE until AT&T's coverage is good all over the US. Which sucks.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But it DOESN'T lack that feature. You can record video with the iPhone 2G. You can send MMS with the iPhone 2G. They are PURPOSELY hampering the hardware to sell more hardware later.

Terrible analogy, as I have three HD DVD players, and can still buy hundreds of brand new movies on HD DVD.

Here's the analogy you should have used:

Having 4G available on your cell phone (in the U.S., as they just turned on 4G in one of the Scandinavian countries) right now is about as useful as owning a PCD player.

Protein-coated disks. 50TB per disk.

22. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Brand new as in they haven't been opened yet or brand new as in they are just released... because HD-DVD isnt being manufactured anymore. :rolleyes:

23. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

With all due respect - that's not the point. The poster tried to make an analogy between technology that is just on the verge of release to technology that has been declared EOL. How would an analogy of 2 completely different things work?

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

We can't even get 3G in my area, and its nearly 100,000 metro here. We have 3G an hour away at another city, thats has nearly 300,000 people that live there though.