Which Generation of Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pfstark, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pfstark macrumors newbie

I am curious from anyone who has used the Airport Extreme Base Station. Right now I could get a previous generation Airport of TC for a fair savings over the current generation. I am planning to use this in my condo and I wanted to know if anyone thought the extra benefits of a guest network and dual wifi is worth it. Would there be a benefit if I don't really need a guest network?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Unless you have multiple devices connecting via b/g & n, I would say save your money. The new one is great, it's what I have. It's nice not having the AEBS throttling down while I'm surfing the net or gaming the moment a b/g device connects.

The guest network is a great feature, there are numerous uses for it. If you have roommates you can have them use the guest feature while keeping your personal machine safe from them. Not saying they would do something intentional - more along the lines of "hey what happens if..."

My roommates share the guest network and they have no clue. My guest network is the only one that broadcasts the SSID as well. There are other reasons you may want to have this feature, that's only one example.

Ultimately decide what you NEED, then decide if the higher price for the "other" things will be worth it in the end.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Dual WiFi is only really beneficial if you have a lot of internal LAN traffic. Even then, you could pick up a $25 g router and have a homebrew dual-band.

4. roryapple macrumors newbie

roryapple

I used the first wireless n one if that helps

5. err404 macrumors 68020

You mentioned that you are in a condo. Do you know if there are a large number of access points in range? I have about 15 routers in my area that lead to a lot of interference with my APE in the 2.5ghz range. This brought my throughput on "n" down to "g" speeds. To work around this limitation, I set my APE to 5ghz and "n" only and use a second router for my "g" devices.
    Unless you are getting a major savings, I'd opt for a new dual band.