which generation should i buy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by nickelo123, Nov 15, 2009.

1. nickelo123 macrumors newbie

hi, i am going to buy ipod touch, but first i need to know which one suits me, 2nd generation or 3rd generation.

the main concern is to go online, eg. facebook, to play a lot of free ipod touch games, and being able to restore to default factory settings if anything goes wrong while jailbreaking.

i am using windows vista and i am getting the ipod touch from the US... is there anything i need to know before buying?

give me advice on which ipod touch should i buy. eg. ipt 2g 8G or ipt 3g 16G ??
    please help, thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would get the 2G iPod touch because then it won't be a tethered jailbreak. Why are you jailbreaking it?

3. nickelo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

5. na1577 macrumors 6502a

You're not really going to get advice from anyone here if your primary intentions are illegal.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That topic is taboo here. It is against the Forum Rules.

7. nickelo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, i just read thru this forum and posted this topic rashly...
    i am sorry for violating.
    ok, thanks for the help anyway.
    i will stop this topic now.

8. waremaster macrumors 6502

While the subject of piracy is taboo. Who’s business is it of anyone what he is going to do with the device when it's jailbroken. This is a help forum you could simply give a straight answer. Get the 32gb version 2nd gen and avoid tethered jailbreak. Pretty simple isn't it. Listen we are not this persons parents or his conscience but we certainly could help with an outright answer.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay. Well, my opinion is, a tethered jailbreak doesn't significantly affect the ipod touch user experience. If you are careful about not letting the battery run down, and selective about the jailbreak apps you install, it's possible to go for weeks without having to power off or reboot. And the 3rd gen does run significantly faster than the 2nd gen, so if you are into games, that's a big advantage. Also, if you are interested in multi-tasking, the 3rd gen has nearly three times usable RAM, allowing you to run more apps in the background more stably. Sure, tethered jailbreak is a bit of a hassle, but not such a major hassle that you should settle for last year's hardware in order to avoid it.

10. mutantblack macrumors regular

agree with night spring. Get 3rd gen. It runs way smoother than older gen. tenthering doesn't bother me at all. As long as I keep my eye on the battery and don't let it shut down. Even if it needs to shut down or reboot, you can always connect it back to pc and blackra1n it.