Which Gmail push is better? Battery-wise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hidehide, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I tried Google Sync, battery drains horribly..
    It was up from 9am, its already 30% during 8pm

Without google sync, i still have at least 65% during 8pm

I notice the mail app was constantly running with google sync..

What about PushGmail? It seems the mail isn't running all the time with PushGmail push activated..

Does it mean PushGmail uses less battery?

And what about GPush vs PushGmail?

Thanks in advance.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

GMail has it's own push service now using Exchange. ( You don't need an Exchange account to use it. ) Detailed instructions from Google here.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The original poster already tried that (as indicated by using Google Sync). Personally, I haven't seen any noticable difference in battery drain after moving from IMAP to Exchange. Maybe because I only sync the inbox and no other labels.

4. Shark131 macrumors member

He already said that uses to much battery.

I use Gpush and i love it. Works every time!

5. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

I'm using Google Exchange to sync calendars, inbox, and contacts. My battery life has gotten better as it does not check once an hour anymore. So, I'm not sure why your battery life has gotten worse. You might look into other changes you made at the same time.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Meh, I guess I didn't know it was called "Google Sync". Regardless, I actually see better battery life.

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I've only used GPush, but from the app description PushGmail also uses the push notification so neither should have much impact on the battery life, if at all.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

well the mail app runs regardless of gmail push or not. its one of the apps in the os that is allowed to run in the background along with itunes, phone, safari.

Maybe you get a lot of junk mail and that's why there is that battery drain since it keeps getting pushed to you phone... Just a guess though.

9. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyone's comment.
    I will give a try to pushgmail for my 3gs again, since it has popup notification unlike Google Sync..

The battery drain might be caused by 3.1 OS in my 2g

10. taimur macrumors member

Pushmail You can use multiple accounts by forwarding emails to it, also you setup filters as why would you want to be notified for every email? Also more secure.