Which GPS App load all the maps and do not require data/cell connection thereafter?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by absolutic, Jan 10, 2011.

1. absolutic macrumors regular

I have couple of GPS-related questions

I live in the US and we sometimes go on vacation to Europe. Last year in Paris we used old-fashion map, because I did not want to incur international roaming charges for using cell/data on my Iphone.

We plan to go to Western Europe again this year. My question number one: what are decent GPS programs that download the entire map in your iphone and can operate as GPS without needing any cell/data service, i.e., i can turn data and roaming off, and the GPS will still work. I realize that it won't give me live updates, but we will be walking a lot, and I just want it to give me walking directions majority of the time. So basically I am looking for an app that I can pay one time fee only and just use it without incurring any additional cost afterwards.

Thank you

2. lapocompris macrumors regular

Check the info in AppStore, any GPS program containing map data for Europe should be about 1.8 Gb.
    I would recommend Tomtom, Navigon and IGo.

3. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

And any of these could be used as a standalong program without needing to access iphone's cell/data?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I have the full version of Motion X GPS (which is basically a GPS tracker) and it allows you to download maps for offline usage. But they get rather big, especially if you choose more than one zoom level and large area (yeah, many GBs).

You could use TomTom, but I don't think it gives you a good walking view.

5. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

I have about 10GB free on my iphone today. So if the maps take under 5-6GB I would be happy with it. Even at home, with AT*T service, there are many dead spots where I live, and google maps freeze my location after service goes into perpetual 'searching' mode. Having gps still working would be highly beneficial

6. lapocompris, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

lapocompris macrumors regular

Yes, cellular data is not mandatory for these programs, just for enhanced capacities like traffic update, POI update, etc.
    On the other hand, light apps (i.e. 50MB), such as Garmin, require cellular data to download realtime map.

Edit: Tomtom and Navigon do have pedestrian mode, Sygic Aura has a 3D view with building modelisation, I don't know if it's useful or not but fun to look at.

7. JM2 macrumors member

I have the TomTom app (for the US) and it does not require any data/cell connection. For me the whole of idea of a GPS app is for those areas where I can't get a cell signal... because if I had a signal then I could just call and ask for directions ;)