which GPU do you normally use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

In practical terms, which GPU do most MBP users leave on? It's a PAIN to switch between them since you have to log off/on. Is there a list out there that says which types of apps you should use with the higher-end card? Or do most people just leave it on anyway? Is it only for high-end video tasks (3D rendering, gaming, video encoding) or do other tasks benefit from the higher-end GPU? If I'm importing a huge photo library in iPhoto (and it does all of its thumbnail creation and faces, etc), will that benefit from the higher-end GPU?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The three you mentioned pretty much cover it as far as using the 9600m GT goes. Only other applications I can think of that make some use of the GPU are Photoshop CS4 and Pixelmator.

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

I just leave it on the 9600 GT, since I normally use dedicated power to the MBP. This way if I stumble across a graphically demanding process I don't have to switch. If I disconnect from constant power and hit the road, then Ill switch to the 9400.

4. Doju macrumors 68000

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If you have a unibody 15" or 17" MacBook pro then you have to go to system prefs and then to the energy saving option but you need to log out and in to use it.

6. p3ncil macrumors regular

9600 when i output to my 24inch.
    9400 when i'm carrying it out to school.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about how much of a pain it is switching GPU's. I just use the 9400 on my 13" MBP.
    Ah, it's just amazing how people complain even when they have choice.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

9. darkdream macrumors member

never used my 9600m ... always used my 9400m... I do not plan to game anytime soon but just wanted it there since well it was only a 200$ difference which is not much in terms of computers.

10. ichiban06 macrumors regular

will be using the 9600M more often when quakelive comes out for the Mac :)

11. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

People are complaining because they have to log off to switch between them not because they have the choice. :rolleyes:

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not like they have to switch GPU's 24/7, how hard is it? If you're doing more graphics intensive work or gaming you use the 9600 exclusively, if not and you want more battery life you use the 9400. It's not that hard to do, most of us don't have any option, it's sheer laziness complaining about having to log off. This is why it just pains me when I read people here that are annoyed that Apple doesn't give them choice, when they do, it's gotta be choice on your terms and convenience. People are doing just fine restarting into Bootcamp, logging off and back on for GPU switch that won't happen often anyway is not a big deal. :rolleyes:

13. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

9600- when connected to charger

9400- when its not connected to charger

i keep it simple ;)

14. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

It's really not an unreasonable request at all. Having to log off and back on makes absolutely no sense at all from a usability standpoint. VAIOs have a hardware switch that you can flip at any time. Just because Apple requires you to log off and on doesn't make it suddenly OK. If Windows made you do it and OS X didn't, everyone here would be ripping MS a new one for how stupid and inefficient that would be. But since it's the other way around, it's suddenly not a big deal?

Let's see. I have my browsers open, maybe a couple downloads, iTunes playing a song, Adium connected and chatting. Hrmm, I want to edit a video in iMovie. Let me close everything, log off, log on, reopen everything, restart my downloads, find that song that was playing before, then start editing. Ridiculous.

Right now I have it set on the 9600 "permanently", but it makes my MBP really hot when I'm not doing anything intensive. I'd leave it on 9400, but then its a hassle to switch it when I want the 9600.

I hope 10.6 fixes this and allows switching without logging off. What I would really like to see Hybrid SLI and/or some kind of dynamic switching that will switch to the 9600 when you are doing something graphics intensive, then switch back when you're done. THAT would be the Apple way of doing it: a seamless user experience with maximum performance and efficiency. This log off/on nonsense is really UN-Apple.

15. adamk77 macrumors 6502

It's annoying.

16. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I use the 9400 99% of the time. If I game and connected to power I use the 9600. I don't game very much. I do not see a difference when using photo editing software. I'm sure there is one when using very large image files, but mine never get over 300mb or so.