Which graphic cards for mac pro 1.1 (mid 06)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mcxreflex, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mcxreflex macrumors newbie

Hello everybody

I'm searching for some additional graphic cards for my mac pro 1.1 (mid 06).
    At the moment I use the default Nvidia Geforce 7300 a single slot PCIe with 256MB of GDDR3-Memory and two DVi-outputs.
    Which cards can I use with my mac pro?
    Can I use cards from newer mac pros?
    I'm searching for a graphic card with PCIe, two digital outputs(dvi, (mini)-display-port, hdmi).
    A single slot isn't required but very nice because I'll use 3 or 4 cards in my mac pro.
    Any ideas for the perfect card?

mcxreflex

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The 8800 GT would have been a good fit for you, but Apple no longer sells them. You might be able to find one on eBay or somewhere. If you do, make sure it's an Apple-compatible one that uses EFI 32 - the EFI 64 model won't work.

Alternatively, you could flash a 4870 or 4890 after following the instructions found here. They take up two slots, but the lowest PCIe slot is double-width anyhow so you still have room for three more cards.

Also, Apple does offer a 4870, but it's very expensive compared to a similar PC card, and it has one DVI port and one Mini Displayport (which may or may not be a problem). Personally, I have a 1GB HD4890 in my Mac Pro which I love.

3. mcxreflex thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm searching for a solution to use 6 or 8 screens on my mac pro.
    Two 4890 with 2 single slot cards sounds nice.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you want to use two 4890s, you'd have to draw power for the second card from the optical bay. While trivially easy to do, if you've already got two optical drives it's a no go.

In your position, I'd see if I could find a used HD2600 (Mac compatible, of course), or more than one - or, if that isn't possible, get two more 7300 GTs to go with the one you already have in addition to the 4890. Then you'll only be drawing power from the PCIe ports via two of these cables.

5. hackertc macrumors newbie

Hello, i have the same situation, i have found some 8800 GT for mac on ebay, but my question is: Can i use any 8800 GT for PC? or only for mac?

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

on PC:

Mac cards and PC cards work

on Mac

Mac Cards work in OSX and Win but PC cards only work in Win unless flashed.

7. hackertc macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting this cleared for (my friend keep saying that i don't need to buy a mac graphics card to work) so now i know, i has to have mac the product name :) Thanks! PS: I hate windows, i will never use bootcamp, i switched to mac to get rid of this virus environment and hacker friendly OS.