Which Graphics Card For New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrody, Mar 20, 2011.

1. iBrody macrumors 6502

I currently own, and am looking to replace my Late 2008 15" 2.53GHz Dual Core 2 MBP (4GB RAM memory and dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512mb graphics card).

Graphics/performance wise, I want my next purchase to perform just as well as my current model in the following areas:

1. Photoshop editing
    2. CAD
    3. Video editing using Final Cut Express

Would I need to go for the 2.2GHz model with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB graphics card, or will the 2.0GHz model with the AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB graphics card perform just as good as my current graphics card? I will be sticking with 4GB RAM memory for the time being.

I'm not really clued up on graphics cards so any advice will be much appreciated.

2. mike2732 macrumors member

Both will work for what you're asking. Only thing is the 6750M will be faster at rendering in both CAD and video.

I'd personally recommend the higher-end model because it's not much more, but the boosts are considerably larger, so you get a bigger bang for your buck.

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

They should both give you a performance at least as good as your current machine, but the high end will give you a much better performance, so I would go for high end if you can afford it. IMO the low end MBP are not that exciting in this revision.

4. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice.

To be honest, my current MBP is being replaced under Applecare due to an ongoing trackpad issue and screen flickering, which hasn't subsided after multiple repairs and a screen replacement.

My local Apple Store are calling me tomorrow to discuss a new MBP replacement plus any upgrades I might wish to consider paying for, and although I am not sure at this point whether they will offer the 2.2GHz model as the direct replacement, I need to know whether I will benefit from upgrading to this model should they offer me the 2.0GHz model.

Seeing as I use CAD, PS, and FCE, I don't want the performance of the new MBP to be slower than my current MBP.

As long as the graphics performance in the 2.0GHz model is just as good as my current MBP then I guess I will be ok.

...but then again if I am offered the 2.0GHz model, I suppose it could be worth upgrading to the 2.2GHz model if the performance of each model is like night and day. Worth considering if this is the case.

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Under these circumstances this becomes a no brainer: 2.2 all the way.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, if you would only have to pay the difference, you get an excellent deal with the 2.2GHz model. Of course, it really is a good deal either way. Personally, I'd get the higher end.

7. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, which MBP model do you think they would offer as the direct replacement?

If they do offer the 2.0GHz model, could I have grounds to contest that the graphics card will be smaller than my current one and will not be as fast (at least on paper it wouldn't appear to be)?

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Considering your original model had 512mb video ram, they can't really offer you the 2.0 as replacement, as this would be a downgrade to 256mb.

9. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Agree. If they do offer you a 2.0 you tell them that, they can't argue.

10. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers people.

Either way though, I guess I am quite lucky to get a new model as a replacement, I was only expecting a refurb at most!

Makes me feel like a 10 year old at Xmas lol.

11. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I was offered the 2.2GHz model as the direct replacement, so I added an extra 4gb RAM memory and paid the £160 (can't be bothered to take a chance with a third party upgrade).

Keeping the stock 750GB HDD and didn't upgrade the screen resolution/anti-glare options.

I will probably buy a WD Scorpio Black 750GB HDD and swap the units, then use the stock HDD as a back-up.

I was told I could also redeem my remaining days of Applecare towards a new 3 year deal once I have the unit.

Delivery to store will be 10-14 days.

Very happy bunny.