Which graphics card to buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheSVD, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Didn't really know where else to put this and cause everyone from all sorts of knowledge-areas (that doesn't make sense, im rather tired) comes here i thought heck, why not.

Basically, now that i'm earning a bit more at work im looking into expanding my home entertainment stuff in my room. I've got this kick ass PC that i want to hook up to my TV/Monitor but it lacks a decent graphics card. Other than that, the PC is reallly good!

So basically, i was looking to buy a graphics card from around £100-£150 max, which would be decent enough to play games at 1920x1080 (and even 2048x1152, my monitor res.) Cause im either going to hook it up to my TV or my monitor, as i want a gaming machine cause my mbp isn't always that bit powerful enough ;)

Anyway, can anyone recommned me a decent graphics card, which must be nvidia ( i cant stand ati ) in the said price range which will be able to play games at the said resolution, and smoothly with AA and such on? i Play games such as STALKER, Test drive unlimited, cod4 (less, the other 2 games i use alot more) Far Cry 2, fallout 3.... And my MBP is great, just want a solid gaming machine now.

If i get one, itll probably be from here, and in this range of NVIDIA cards http://www.ebuyer.com:80/search?limit=50&store=2&cat=215&subcat=2583&sort=pricelow&page=1 unless someone suggest a better range of them. Whilst i am very tech savvy, i never actually know what gfx card to pick really, i just tend to go for higher priced ones aha, and hope for the best. Guess im maybe looking at someone talking from experience. Anyway, is my idea of getting a gfx card for this cheap which will be able to perform so well not possible? Or is there one i can get which will suit my needs?

Thankyou :D

Also, sorry for this awfuly structured and long winded post. I am very tired, haha. Thanks!

EDIT: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160748 this looks alright, and the reviews say it can play stuff at 1080p on full. think this looks okay?

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yeah the gtx 260 will do the stuff at 1080p. ur set.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have the gtx 260 in my desktop and its great (although friggin huge, make sure your case is big enough).

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

5. thefnshow macrumors regular

6. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Yeah i've got a big case :D
    And cool, glad to know it'll do the stuff at 1080, now to save up for that new TV ;)

He answered yoru question for you there mate. I always use to be one of those ATI people, but their drivers suck soooo bad, and eventually just slow the whole computer down and are just generally crap. After using nvidia i was amazed, and i really perfer their control panel too. :)