Which Graphics Option for the 21.5 iMac? How Much Machine RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaybar, May 15, 2010.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I have settled on the 21.5" iMac. What graphic option should I consider if I want to take advantage on the changes that apple is making with respect to graphics support in its software?

Also how much Machine RAM is optimal, given that I want to run windows 7 in VM fusion?

tasks for the machine are internet, light photo editing, spreadsheets, large document creation, email.

At this time I do not do games, but you never know.

Thanks

jay

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could go for the ATI option, but for your uses, it wouldn't be necessary, and you likely wouldn't see any difference out of it unless you took up gaming. As far as RAM goes, 4GB would likely work unless you are doing anything heavy in VM and running apps in OSX too. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get the 8 gigs though, considering it is relatively inexpensive. I think you could use the very base model of the iMac and it would work great for what you want, or if you feel so inclined, spend the extra and get the ATI and 8 gigs o' RAM, and you get twice the size of HD as well. Neither is a bad option, it just depends on what you want to spend.

3. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I've been looking pretty hard at the refurbished 21.5 iMac that offers upgraded graphics for $1,299. I probably don't *need* this, but if I could get it for a bit of a discount, why not?