Which Handbreak preset do you use?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FamiliaPhoto, Oct 27, 2009.

?

Which Handbreak Apple preset do you use

Poll closed Dec 26, 2009.
  1. Universal

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. iPod

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. iPhone & iPod Touch

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Apple TV

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  5. QuickTime

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Just wondering which Apple Handbreak preset everyone uses. Converting all my DVD's now and wonder if people are sticking with Universal, Apple TV, etc.

If you have chosen Universal over Apple TV have you noticed any quality loss?

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I use the ATV preset, but only because I don't care about having the same file run on my iPhone. If I want a movie on my iPhone, I'll encode a separate file for it. Otherwise it takes up too much space.

Quality between Universal and ATV should be the same. The difference is that the ATV preset will result in a slightly smaller file.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I normally use, quicktime, and change the percentage quality to about 70. and then go in and change it to anamorphic/widescreen size. I have a widescreen display thus it makes sense :)

4. NightStorm macrumors 68000

If you have a 3GS with the latest firmware, you should be able to playback DVD-encodes that were made with the AppleTV preset now.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I take the ATV preset, and let HandBrake do the grunt work. I'm not a videophile, and I wouldn't notice a pixel out of place, unlike someone who shall remain nameless...

I'm very happy with HandBraking my DVDs. It is so convenient, and the quality is just fine.

6. FamiliaPhoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Thanks guys. I notice when I do the ATV preset that it checks large file size and I get a file much larger than when using Universal. Is this what you guys experience. Is there a benefit to the large file size?

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Is there really any benefit to the Apple TV preset anymore? (for standard def of course). I thought the Universal Preset was the way to go now, or does it same space because of B-Frames?

8. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Smaller files, similar quality.

9. grozier macrumors newbie

In general, I use Universal for TV shows and AppleTV for movies. I'm more likely to watch a TV show that is under 1 hour on my iPhone. Anything larger I would never want to take with me. I use 2-channel stereo with the Universal on TV shows and 5.1 AAC passthrough on the movies.

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Where is the "I Use My Own" choice? I don't use the HandBrake presets as they don't look all that good to me, I use my own and although it takes longer the quality is :D

11. FamiliaPhoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Great point but then that isn't a preset is it? :p

What settings do you use?

12. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'd rather not say as it took me forever to get it just right, that would be spoiling the fun for you if I just handed them over :p

And they are to a preset, I saved them as one :p

13. FamiliaPhoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Ok, I call uncle. You win. :D

14. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Negative. Large File Size simply formats it as a 64 bit mp4 which can *support* a file size > 4GB. The actual final file size is the same whether 32 or 64 bit.

Same settings ... same source with the only difference being the large file size checkbox will produce basically the same actual file size.

Past ipods would not support a 64 bit file, which is why the atv preset used it for very long movies like LOTR extended edition, etc. The current ipod families do support 64 bit mp4's.

15. FamiliaPhoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Good to know, saves some drive space as well.