Which hard disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimi94941, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I've actually had a good amount of luck with the WD Scorpio drive. It does it job and it's never died on me for no reason at all. I'm sure some people may have had different experiences with Western Digital drives, but I would definitely choose this one over the Samsung.

And since you didn't mention it in your original post, make sure that the MBP you have is a unibody since the 12.5mm height clearance needed for that drive can only be had on the unibody MBPs as well as the 17" aluminum MBP.

3. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help. Yes I do have unibody 15inch MBP. Could you tell me if the drive is fast enough? Is it slower then the original drive or the same? Or faster? :p

Well for now, my choice is WD then, I will wait if there's anyone here to comment on Samsung also and then decide.

Thank you again.

4. movieboy23 macrumors regular

The 2.5" 1 TB drives all spin @ 5200 RPM compared to the stock 250 or 320 drives in the machine which spin @ 5400 RPM. It's not a significant difference and you'll only really notice it if you're constantly reading/writing/transferring large files to the drive. If you're primarily using the drive for storage purposes, then you'll be fine and then drive speed should leave you unaffected.

Most consumers, including those who spring for the 7200 RPM drives, rarely force the drive to spin up to those higher speeds since they tend to run middle of the road applications that don't have them reading/writing/transferring large files to and fro. The only real time the speed of the drive becomes a bottle neck is if you're doing high-end photo, video or audio work.

Hope that answers your question.