Which hard drive for your 17-inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Jun 28, 2009.

?

Which drive for your 17-inch MBP?

1. Apple 500GB @ 5400rpm

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Apple 500GB @7200rpm

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Apple 128 SSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Apple 256 SSD

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Third-party HD... please detail below

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Third-party SSD... please detail below

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Canuckistan macrumors member

I'm about to buy a 17-inch MBP, but am unsure as to which drive to buy. Perhaps you can help me by taking part in the poll and supplying your reasons. Thanks.

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I guess Intel will be releasing a new SSD within a week or two. I'd wait to see what that brings, either in the drive itself of price cuts industry wide.

Otherwise I'd get one of the following:
    Intel X25m
    OCZ Vertex
    OCZ Summit

I have the Intel X25E in my 17" and its smokin' fast.

3. Canuckistan thread starter macrumors member

OP here...

Please provide size, source, and price of your third-party solutions.

Also your degree of staisfaction with the chosen product... Any gripes, regrets?

Thanks

4. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

It's a play on your mind. The 5400rpm drive is just as fast as the 7200rpm.

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

7200rpm 500gb, SSDs are still a little shaky with the write gap

6. Lounge Deluxe macrumors regular

What write gap? And which SSD's (brand, type) do you mean? I'm afraid the OCZ Vertex and Intel X25-M (just to name a few) will outperform your 500GB laptop hard drive (and any other laptop hard drive for that matter) in any benchmark. There's nothing shaky about the SSD's I'm currently using.

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Having got issues with the 7200rpm drive - maybe it'd be interesting to see what people recommend as an alternative drive - i've heard the Scorpio Blue mentioned but it's only 5000rpm afaik.

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have read here on MR that the WD Blue is a great all around option which runs very well with no issues on power drain and is better than the stock 5400 drive that comes with a 17" MBP. I went with the stock HDD because I needed to get an external first and fore most, then I will see if I even need to get the WD in the end. Eventually SSD will be placed in my 17" MBP once prices drop and as with anything, the tech. improves so it will benefit to wait a bit.
    I'd say unless you render or encode heavy duty stuff all the time just get the stock unit and then look at getting the WD blue, place your internal in an external enclosure and get the best of both worlds for the time being. Then again it's about $50 more to get the 7200 so if money doesn't really matter after spending for a 17" then go for it and enjoy.

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I got the 7200 rpm because I'm using it for music recording and the faster speed makes a difference

Solid State drives have a superior read speed but also have write and fragmentation issues depending on the drive. For music recording, you're doing nonstop writing of high volume data in real-time so I didn't wanna deal with any potential write issues. The SSD is also too small. I used bootcamp to allocate 100 GB for a Windows 7 partition. On the mac side I installed Logic Studio (40GB). This alone would have filled up the smaller SSD.

In the future, when the SSD price drops and the technology is more streamlined, I'll upgrade.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, I can't see pulling out a stock 500 GB for a 3rd party of the same size

I upgraded from a 160 GB to a 500 GB on my older MBP, and I opted for the Scorpio Blue after reading the reviews for the 7200 drives and the 5400 drives

It was the right choice for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Aye - I was looking at 5000rpm stock drive or the Scorpio Blue after MacDawg's recommendation. Good point about SSD - will likely go that route. MBP in a year might still keep up a fair bit if upgrading to a by then cheaper SSD