Which hard drive upgrade for a MBP (Early 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newfoundglory, May 15, 2010.

1. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

Currently got the shipping FUJITSU MHY2200BH (200GB).

I either want a drive which offers as much space as is possible, or a reasonably priced SSD with amazing performance which is available in the UK.

After reading drive reviews and these forums i'm not sure what to choose - things like swooshing of WD drives and Toshiba drives with poor performance and SSD's using the same or more power than mechanical drives.

Any thoughts, experiences, recommendations?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The best overall laptop drive around now is the WD Black. I've had good results with the Seagate Momentus (7200RPM) too. Not the fastest drive but fairly quiet.

3. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean the 320GB WD Scorpio Black?

I thought the latest 5400 drives were as fast as the older 7200's?

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I havent had any speed issues with a WD Scorpio 500GB or WD Scorpio 640GB i believe they were 5400rpms; i have it in my 13" MBP right now and boot up is reasonably quick, i play host to my music library and tv shows on here, no stuttering, swooshing noises of any kind or slow down experienced.

Once SSDs become priced similar I'm definitely going that route.

So I suggest the 640GB WD drives.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you want as much space as possible, go for one of Western Digital's Scorpio Blue models, either the 640GB or the 750GB model. Both the 640GB model and the latest incarnation of the 750GB model are 9.5mm tall and will work with every MacBook ever produced. If you go for an SSD instead, any model using a SandForce chipset will have roughly the same performance. At this point I would only recommend a SandForce model due to their low power consumption and excellent performance even after many write cycles.