Which hard drive? Want it fast with minimal battery loss.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rufus247, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rufus247 macrumors member

2. tkermit, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

t,ftfy: There, Fixed That For You (Urban Dictionary link)

He's talking about the fact that your links looked like they went directly to newegg, but actually went through a commission site, presumably because you were hoping that someone would click on them, like the product, and buy it while there, not noticing that they were giving you commission for the referral. It's ok to post links that go through a referral site, but be honest about it (in fact, it's best to post a disclaimer).

As far as drives go, though, I'd go for the Hybrid Seagate or a WD Scorpio Black. The Hybrid drives are still somewhat unknown as far as reliability because they're new, but I like the concept and it should work well. The Scorpio Blacks work really well, though, and are both quiet and fast. Can't go wrong with them.

jW

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The forum software adds those links automatically to count click-throughs. You can tell that the original poster hasn't added them manually by quoting the post; the url tags only show the original Newegg link and not the referral link.

The original poster has not done anything dishonest.

7. tkermit, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Thanks for the info!
    I hope the original poster will accept my sincerest apologies. I'm not sure I'm completely fine with the forum software's behavior in this case, but I guess that's a matter for another thread. :eek:

rufus, have you considered an SSD at all? It'll be super-fast and you'll actually gain a bit of battery life. Prices are still falling and you should soon be able to get Intel's 3rd generation X25-M SSDs for a possibly fairly reasonable price per GB at capacities of up to 600GB. [->AnandTech]

8. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yeah, I wasn't trying to earn any commissions.

Tkermit: No worries, I was just confused.

Okay, so which would require more power consumption, the Scorpio Black or the Seagate Momentus XT?

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Yes, you can probably tell I was essentially jumping on the bandwagon, but I did at least google the base URL and see that it was a referral site. Apologies to the OP as well.

jW

10. urkel macrumors 68030

what a bad time to decide to buy a new hard drive because HDD's were selling dirt cheap over the Black Friday weekend.

Recently I moved to a 7200rpm in order to speed up aperture. In my research I read tons of negative reviews on them lately (clicking, data corruption) and have even had a Seagate failure recently so I lean more towards Western Digital. I bought the WD 500GB Black drive. It claims to use the same power as a 5400 drive but runs at 7200rpm.

If speed isn't an issue (and for most then 5400rpm is perfectly fine) then you could save a ton of money buying an external portable drive. Most cases are easily popped open so you can easily put the new drive into your computer and put your old drive in the enclosure. I've been doing that for years and it's saved me a ton of money.