Which hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pam2611, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Pam2611 macrumors newbie

Only one simple question. Which hard drive brand does Apple use in its Mac Pro's? WD, Seagate...? I know that they are 320,500,750,1000 Gb Sata2 hdd but which brand are they?

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

It's a crap shoot, basically.

My 1st gen Mac Pro (have to get used to saying that) came with a 160GB Seagate drive. Others who ordered the 250GB stock drive got either Seagate or Western Digital.

3. huvas78@hotmail macrumors newbie

huvas78@hotmail

Buy the harddrive with 15.000 rpm

I'm sooooo curious how fast everything will run then. I believe the slowest component in currect Mac Pros are hard discs, and with this new option, it MUST make an incredible difference!

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Apple likely takes whomever has the best price or best availability when they need them, be it Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, etc.

It really depends on what you're doing. And 15K drives generate a good deal of heat.

5. malenfant macrumors member

I'm pretty sure you have to have the $1000 RAID option to use those SAS drives.

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The slowest component in any system is going to be the transfering data to and from the hard disk. But the above poster is right, it really depends on what you're doing. It makes a bigger difference for I/O bound apps (a large transactional database say) than it does for more common tasks.

7. vdrummer macrumors newbie

I think you could get either drive; I'm buying four Seagate drives separately, though - they have 5 year warranty, while WD is only three. Get way in depth on the drive differences here:

http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr