Which Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Arborist, May 18, 2008.

1. Arborist macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,
    i just ordered the 2.8 quad core with a 500GB hard drive.
    My question is which manufacturer makes this drive?
    I want to put a second drive in 1.5 times larger (GB) for TM back-ups, not sure as whether to use an external drive or an internal drive. I would like to keep the same manufacturer nonetheless.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So a 750? Take the drive out and look at it. Based on the manufacturer, you can get another drive that will suit your needs. I'd say internal, as you have three bays to play with.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You can also check your system profiler to see who the manufacturer is. Click the apple menu, select about this mac, and select more information from the window that pops up.

I would also say go with an internal drive.

4. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

System Profiler will tell you the model number of the drive that's inside the computer, and that usually tells you the same brand if you decode the model number. WDC is Western Digital, ST is Seagate Technology. I don't have Hitachi or Samsung but that should be easy to guess from the model number if you have one of those.

And you do not need to use the same manufacturer. The computer won't react badly to mixing brands. I have two different brands in my Mac Pro. The time you might want to not mix brands is if you're RAID-0 striping for performance, but there are risks to striping.

I think Apple uses any and all brands depending on which one a) has the supplies or b) is the cheapest of a certain spec.

5. Arborist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks People

I forgot about the system profiler.
    Good tip!