Which hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, Dec 26, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Network or USB ?

I have a Mac Pro and a Time Capsule 1TB

I want to add an external hard drive for storage and back up and I'd like to (easily) be able to access my data from anywhere when traveling.

Should I buy a Network attached External Hard Drive or a USB Hard drive, (if I bought the USB Hard Drive would I be wisest to plug it into the Time Capsule's USB port or my Mac Pro's USB Port)?

I'm looking at -
    Western Digital MyBook World Edition Network 1TB 3.5" External Hard Drive
    or
    Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB 3.5" USB External Hard Drive

Which would you choose?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You mean you want to access the drive from some sort of web interface?

You arent actually going to be working on these files, right? Just looking at them?

Or do you expect to copy them over to your MBP when you are in Florida than they are Canada?

Why are you adding a slow a$$ USB drive to you Macpro -- which has 3 empty drive bays?

Maybe more info on what you expect to do with the data on these drives? Or maybe you can give us a scenario of what you expect to be able to do, or what you want to be able to do with this setup?

3. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I like G-Tech external hard drives. Very reliable, and good looking - matching the Mac design.

By the way: why would you like to have an external hard drive for back-up? Why not put another hard drive into your Mac Pro?

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I should of mentioned, the Mac Pro may turn into an iMac i7, that's why I didn't consider adding another drive to the Mac Pro.

For the files on the HD I want to be able to work from them, not just view them, for example if my files are at the office I want to be able to access the drive from home or when traveling.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What size files are we talking about here? Just documents or pictures? Or are you talking media?

Have you considered online storage, which will give you much better access speeds, better security, and the additional benefit of a secondary, off-site backup?