Which Harddrive do I zero out?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Dec 4, 2008.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I'm new here but I need to zero out my hardrive. I am just wondering which icon to click. I boot up using the disk and everything, I get that part. But when I go to disk utility it shows the hard drive icon. One icon has 74.5 GB Fujitsu... next to it and under that there is an icon with "harddrive" next to it. I can zero both out so which one should I do? I realize they are pretty much the same and the lower one is a subvolume of the Fujitsu but will it mess something up if I zero out the fujitsu? Whats the difference between zeroing out one verses the other?

2. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ebika macrumors 6502

The difference between those two is that one is the drive, the lower one is the partition on that drive. The reason there are two entries is that it is possible to have more than one partition per drive. If you format/erase the top one, everything on that drive is erased. If you format the lower one, the partition, you will erase only what is in that partition. That may include everything on the drive, but it may not, depending on how it was set up (most likely it covers the entire drive).

If you format/erase the top one, the drive, you can't "mess up" the drive, new partitions can always be made later. Just know that all partitions on that drive will be erased if you erase the top icon.

By "zero out" are you trying to securely remove all the data so you can sell/give that drive to someone?

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! :D
    yes I am zeroing out all the data for security, I did it once before just to start with a clean slate but couldn't remember exactly which one to erase.