Which HD camcorder is Better for Snowboarding

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sean12, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Sean12 macrumors newbie

I would like to buy a HD camcorder which would be mainly used for snowboarding, wakeboarding surf (not in the water). I would like it to be on the small side so i could carry it around in my jacket. I would spend no more than $1000 +/-. I was looking at the new small sony which only carrys SD cards. Also i have a macbook pro so it would have to work well with imovie. Any help would be greatful

2. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

3. foshizzle macrumors regular

If you really want to spend all that $1000, go for one from the Canon vixia line. I have an HF-10, but the HF10, HF100, HF11 are all fantastic cameras. If you'll be traveling around with it, i'd suggest an HF100, buy many 16GB SDHC cards (i bought 5 from newegg for $30 each, SDHC class 6, no failures) and a couple of extended batteries and you're at about $1000. Check out http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ they usually have the cameras for really cheap and anywhere for those batteries and newegg.com for SDHC cards. Maybe some filters.

Might want to look into a pelican case for carrying the stuff around, especially onto a boat (the cases are waterproof, float, shockproof, etc.).

enjoy filming the sporting. Might also want to look at a copy of Final Cut Express if you want to get really in depth on this stuff, but Imovie will work as well.

4. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

5. macipod macrumors newbie

6. Chris7 macrumors 6502

If you're on a boat, image stabilization will be important. The Canon's are generally said to have slightly better image quality, but you may want to go Sony for the better image stabilization. Check out Camcorderinfo.com. they run stabilization tests you can compare. I have a Canon HF-100 an am happy with it, but I have heard AVCHD has more compression artifacting when panning than HDV (although consumer HDV has it's problems as well). You may prefer AVCHD over HDV on a boat, as I have read that moisture and tape don't mix well. Someone please correct me on the last couple points, if I'm wrong, though. Best of luck.

7. Sean12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, not sure if I really know what I want yet. Like the idea of the flip but not sure if its any better than my samsung mini dv. Anyway thanks for your replies will let you know what I decide to get and wether it was a good choice.

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Get an HF100. They are almost down to $500 on amazon. Wonderful camera. I highly recommend it.

9. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The HF100 isn't really small enough to fit in a jacket pocket safely when snowboarding.

Read the OP.

10. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

11. Loc macrumors newbie

I use the HF100 for snowboarding but I keep it in my backpack and bring it out when I need it. I love its small size and flash based memory.

12. AFABS macrumors regular

AFABS

What exactly is the difference between the Canon HF10 and HF100??? Which is better???

13. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

They are virtually the same camera. HF100 is silver with no built in flash memory, HF10 is black with 16gb flash memory.

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

The hf100 is a way better deal. You can buy several 16gb cards for what they charge for one integrated card in the hf10.

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore