Which HD Camcorder to buy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Blackhatch, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Blackhatch macrumors newbie

I have read all the threads, links, and intimations. Some of the links are a bit dated.

What is the best format to record video on that plays nicely with the MAC?

I need to shoot some video content for my website and get it edited up for use.

Thanks.

2. Synthion macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing and would like some up to date input.

3. musique macrumors regular

musique

Need more information

"Plays nicely with the MAC" doesn't give a lot of information about what you're planning to use to edit on the Mac.

In general, however, most cameras shoot video that is made for playback, not editing. So, if you're planning to use FCP to edit, FCP can import many different formats and convert them to formats made for editing. In addition, there are free and not-free programs that can assist in converting your camera format to an editing format.

If you can provide more information about your needs, you'll probably get more informative responses.

Good luck.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

5. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to shoot some video (instructional and informative) that I will do voice overs on for clarity and proper content.

Nothing crazy on the editing, just streamlining the video and maybe taking proper cuts from another video and pulling it in.

6. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link to the compatibility chart.

What format of video do I need? It appears that Mpeg-4 is out of the question and totally unnecessary for my application.

Is there any benefit to it over Mpeg-2

I just want really high res and clean footage.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

What is your budget? What do you expect to do with the camera? What lighting conditions? Will you be recording audio using the camera or an external device? What mics do you have/plan to get? How will it be supported? What do you plan to edit with? What is your final output?

8. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Budget - I would like to keep it under $800

Lighting conditions - should be very good as I will normally be shooting in daylight and clear weather.

Mics - I don't have any but will get whatever is required. I was going to add most of the audio after the fact for clarity's sake.

Edit - Not sure. Whatever is most friendly and easy to work with.

Output - This will be video content for my website.

Basically...I am a contractor that wants to post of some video of completed jobs with some audio about what we do and why.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

Ive actually had decent results with the GoPro as far as a cheap camera goes. With your above requests that camera would suffice. However I wouldnt use it for ENG, Docs (well maybe as B-roll) or anything thatll need low-light.
    Now of your budget is over 1k then we can talk better cameras ;)
    Currently testing a Sony PMW-F3. Its the new Sony HD camera that can handle all kinds of lenses (PL yada yada).
    We generally use the high-end stuff here at work e.g. RED MX but at times we have to purchase and assess lower end cameras for other depts.

10. Cagle macrumors regular

say its 1 to 2k, and the output is for vimeo HD, or a 135" PJ, via iMovie or FCE, what would you kindly recommend?

11. BenFL macrumors member

If you need something to be safe around or in water, you cant go wrong with the GoPro. It impresses me more every time I use it. It isn't the most user friendly, but "bang for your buck" is, IMO, off the chart.
    Ive been playing with one for a little over a month and it does some awesome stuff. Since I've had it I have seen them on TV several times, from Mythbusters to racing shows, to bizarre foods, to a new one about the bike couriers in NYC.

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Well that would be a huge list. For what you need you can a decent Canon cheapy. Now some folks are buying DSLRs that can do HD. Just a lot more work on the process from shooting to finishing/output.

13. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a GoPro as we speak. I will use that camera right away but need to familiarize myself with the hardware.

My only issue with that camera choice was the inability to replay the footage and see what needs to be shot over or the ability to play it back over a TV or similar.

I have the GoPro HD.

Is there a way to use the camera without the fish-eye lens? Everything I see with with the fish-eye look which is not preferable in my case.

14. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't the iPhone 4 a 720i video?

15. Mr Garbaggio macrumors newbie

I think it's actually 720p

Pretty much the only thing I can recommend (with knowledge) is the camera I own which is a Canon HF S200. I just checked Amazon.com and it list for $649.00. It shoots in full 1920x1080p resolution. It does record in AVCHD and you will have to transcode this if you want to edit it but it's pretty easy to do. The picture quality is awesome!! In low-light, the picture isnt the best but I always keep in mind that I didnt buy a pro camera. The thing that kills me the most is that people complain that consumer cameras "dont do this" and "dont do that" but what are you really expecting?!? Dont you think if consumer cameras could produce the picture that pro cameras can the big budget movies, tv broadcast, and any other professional quality video would be shot on them? Sorry, I had to get that out. . . back to the topic. IMO, this is a GREAT camera at at a decent price. There are accessories that you may need: SDHC memory cards, mic, and I highly recommend getting the wide angle lens (WD-H58) built for this camera but as always its your choice. If you want to see what this camera can produce, do a search on YouTube for "HiiDefinition" and look at the video that says "Film Look 24p". This guy really shows the potential this camera has. I'm not saying your video is going to look as good as his, that's dependent on your own creativity and imagination. Ummm, that pretty much sums up my recommendation. Good luck

16. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie