Which HD Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacSF, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MacSF macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a MAC friendly HD camcorder and have a budget of $500.
    I'm currently considering the Canon VIXIA HF R21 (with .mts video format) but would appreciate any other suggestions that would fit my price range.

Thank you in advanced!

2. Barnzee macrumors regular

Can you list what you plan to do with it? It's hard to reccomend a camera based solely on your budjet.

3. YEEZY macrumors member

Just get a Flip camera and save your money. Those things actually record pretty well for it's size. The only real issue is how stable you want your videos to be and all that. If you're going to do something professional, I don't know if 500 will cut it. The Canon EOS-5D Mark II would be something I'd want for pro use, but that'll run you about 3k :eek:

4. will waters macrumors regular

Sony

Hi
    I have got a 'sony handy cam' which i find to be very good, it shoots 1080p and it is relatively cheap around £300, a magazine that i read, (mac format) put a load of cameras on test and this is what they suggested the 'sony handy cam'

Hope this is useful

5. MacSF thread starter macrumors newbie

We are expecting a baby and I plan to do a lot of indoor shooting mostly at first.

6. Barnzee macrumors regular

If your shooting indoors I would go with sony because from first hand experience the tend to fare better in low light. Canon makes really good camcorders as well. I also found while experimenting with both, that Canon tends to produce sharper video. However, honestly for that price range the difference in quality is negligible. Don't judge the quality of the video by the small LCD attached to the camera either. Just go with one that you like the most.

I personally shoot video with a DSLR (Canon Rebel T2i) because the image quality is supreme when you have good glass attached. Also they are relatively inexpensive for the lower models. plus they shoot in 24p and it really gives it that film look. You just can't get the same optical quality of stills from a Camcorder vs. a DSLR either. So if you plan on taking pictures which I assume you are since your having a baby, I would recommend a DSLR because you get amazing pictures and video quality (best of both worlds).

7. sumone macrumors regular

Do you have any sample footage that you may have shot using your T2i and lens? I have been debating camcorder vs DSLR. I have heard that a camcorder is the way to go for general convenience for example if you are shooting a baby and some of the things they do are spontaneous you're not going to want to set up a DSLR and attach a lens so a small handycam would do. But for more "professional" work a DSLR may be better for the price?

To OP congratulations on the new baby :)

8. MacSF thread starter macrumors newbie

Dslr

Thank you very for the DSLR suggestion and to all of you who have responded to my post. Purchasing a DSLR is an option that I will definitely consider; I will need to upgrade my digital camera as well and the DSLR could be a great all-in-one solution.

Thank you again to all.

9. Barnzee macrumors regular

Video of me was taken with the kit lens but keep in mind it was at night in very low light so its not perfect. plus i'm not a pro either this was edited in imovie

http://youtu.be/RvLU-btnOWU?hd=1

Here is a video that shows the T2i compared to the Canon 5D mark ii (both DSLR's)

http://youtu.be/73TNSnXY6ow?hd=1