Which HD with Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LSS, Jul 18, 2007.

1. LSS macrumors member

Hi!

I'm getting the Airport Extreme Base Station and could use some tips on choosing a USB drive to go with it.

So, any experiences with any of the following drives:
    - Buffalo DriveStation 500GB SATA
    - Iomega Minimax 500GB
    - LaCie Hard Drive Design by F.A. Porsche 500GB
    - LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub 500GB
    - Maxtor OneTouch III - 500GB
    - Western Digital MyBook 500GB

Do they work well with AEBS? Do they spin down when not in use? Are they noisy?

Any other drives I should be looking into?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

anything lacie is high quality. i have a lacie model (not mentioned here) its one of the networking models(connected via usb tho) and it works really well. planning on haveing 1 partition?? good!!!! it dont work with more than one... stupid thing

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I haven't had a problem with the LaCie mini hard drive and hub, at least since they updated the AirPort firmware so that it will let drives spin down. I've also successfully hooked up a printer through the hub, although it wouldn't let me use all the fancy multi-function stuff over the network.

4. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

I gutted my PC after switching over. Build your own external at Fry's, they all work fine. Get a USB hub if you want to use more than one usb peripheral on the extreme. I have three hard drives and a printer hooked up to it and I can use all of them with out changing a thing.

PS - I also have the 500GB Mybook. Works great, but much better when I plug it in Firewire 800 style.

5. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

My top 3 picks would be:

LaCie Hard Drive Design by F.A. Porsche
    Maxtor OneTouch III
    Western Digital MyBook

I've heard lots of good things about all of those. I personally own the OneTouch III except in 300GB version, but I know some people who have both the Porsche and the MyBook and they've had no problems.

NickD

6. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

Just curious, does that have firewire 800?

7. srexy macrumors 6502a

I have 720 gb of Seagate drives in an OWC enclosure which has usb 2.0, Firewire 800/400 and it works very well. I bought a refurb enclosure and 2 drives for ~ $250 IIRC

8. baydude macrumors newbie

I have a Iomega Minimax 500GB and so far it works great.
    Having the integrated USB hub is very nice.

I have the new firmware, but the drive still doesn't spin down.

9. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

DON'T GET ONE. That is what I say, it is waste. It doesn't run very fast, 2.3mbp. SLOW, it is almost a waste of time.

See my back treads about my issues with it.

The Stig

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wat connection way is this??? never experianced that ever before

11. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Has the latest firmware improved this at all?

12. Jestered macrumors 6502

The drive can't be partitioned or the Extreme does not work with more than one?

I don't see why the drive can't be partitioned. And I have one drive connected to my extreme and it has 5 partitions. It works perfectly. You cannot partition or even format it wirelessly, but once it is partitioned and connected to the Extreme it works fine.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

with a lacie if you partition and try to share that with airport it doesnt recognise any of the partitions. it just brings up a wierd volume that have about 3mb capacity. 1 partition only from my experience

14. Jestered macrumors 6502

That is weird. It works perfectly with mine, but I am not using a LaCie drive. I wonder if the LaCie drives use a different chipset that the Extreme has problems with? That would be strange considering LaCie is kind of geared towards Mac. That is the only thing I can think that would be different from what I have that could cause it.

I am using a Vantec enclosure with a 500GB Western Digital SATA drive.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i did kind of complicate it a bit...hehe. i had 3 partitions, one fat32 (for the pc) and two different ones for two other macs... but it should have worked. moral of the story.. work with 1 partition.

i have a lacie ethernet 250gb. (cat5 & usb)

16. L3X macrumors 6502a

the WD MyBookPro is very nice. You can get a 500 GB for less than $200. FW 800 is very, very, very fast too.

check out buydig.com whatever you do, very good prices and great customer service

http://www.buydig.com/shop/home.aspx