Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Browsing OWC and Newegg looking for a 750GB-1TB drive. Leaning towards the WD Scorpio Blue or Black.

I've heard rumors that Seagate took over Samsung drives and they are both crap now? Is this true?

Should I got with a 750GB or a 1TB? Does one prove to be more reliable than another? They have the 9.8mm and 12.5mm drives. I believe either of those will fit a mid-2010 MBP correct?

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
My current fave is Samsung. I'm concerned now that Hitachi bought Samsung's drive business because I have read more than a few bad reviews about Hitachi customer service.

The last Black Caviar drive that I ordered from Newegg was DOA.

These days I tend to go with OWC enclosures because I know that they will work with my Macs. I've had some surprises in the past with other enclosures. Ditto for RAM.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I don't trust any HD manufacturer. Every hard drive has 100% failure rate. That's part of the reason I'm excited for my rMBP. SSD's are much much more reliable.:apple:

bigdada-saba

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Saba Dutch Caribbean
info svp

mbp 13" late 2011
I have read all of this and i am a newbe to APPLe but used to own an HP running ubuntu on a ssd. an it ran fine.

Now i have a MBP 13" late 2011, i5 2.4 ghz, 8 gb ram an i want to upgrade to a ssd but the apple surtified tech told me that if i put an ssd bigger the 512 in it it wil put my machine to over heat an maybe not run how it should. is this true.
i don't want to invest in something that might not work the correct way.
because there are some 600gb sad out there on the market.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I don't have the cash for an SSD in the size that I would like. This is strictly HDD's.

I personally don't believe that SSD's are there yet in terms of technology and bad sectors.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't trust any HD manufacturer. Every hard drive has 100% failure rate. That's part of the reason I'm excited for my rMBP. SSD's are much much more reliable.:apple:

Brace yourself. There is no perfect SSD.

Do some research so you don't need to believe my claim, but read it for yourself. While obviously, there are no moving parts, that doesn't make it 100% reliable.

I speak from experience, I've had quite a few SSD's in my various computers over the last four years, I've always bought absolute top of the line, from the best manufacturers. A few of those have failed.

SSD's and HHD's each have their pro's and con's. The reliability factor between the two is far closer than the picture you have painted.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA

Do some research so you don't need to believe my claim, but read it for yourself. While obviously, there are no moving parts, that doesn't make it 100% reliable.

I speak from experience, I've had quite a few SSD's in my various computers over the last four years, I've always bought absolute top of the line, from the best manufacturers. A few of those have failed.

SSD's and HHD's each have their pro's and con's. The reliability factor between the two is far closer than the picture you have painted.

I agree 100%. No matter which drive you have always have a good backup in place. Ever since cable went bad I backup almost daily. That scared me enough. Cheap little 1TB external drive from Costco is holding me over until I can get a synology NAS.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012

I never said SSD's were 100% reliable. All I know is SSD's are much faster and more reliable.

----------

I agree 100%. No matter which drive you have always have a good backup in place. Ever since cable went bad I backup almost daily. That scared me enough. Cheap little 1TB external drive from Costco is holding me over until I can get a synology NAS.

Ya I have backup system in place as well. I take no chances lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.