which hdd enclosure for time machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fineaddme, Aug 9, 2010.

1. fineaddme macrumors regular

hi all i just got around to using time machine and i am going to buy a 500gb wd drive for time machine i have a 500gb internal hdd in my imac

i just wanted to know what external enclosures you recommend i was looking into buying a macally g-s350u that has a esata and usb 2.0

i am not sure if i should get thos enclosure or one with a fan since time machine will be on most of the time

the macally enclosure i was looking into has no fan so i am worried about overheating

and is a 500gb hdd enough for time machine or should i go with a 1tb drive?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get the 1Tb Fantom Green Drive. Cheap, energy efficient. You don't have to worry about an HDD overheating in an external enclosure. They really don't get that hot.

3. pcb355 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't worry about overheating, TM runs every hour and only writes changes, it's actually very light disk use. A fan should not be a criteria, IMHO.

4. fineaddme thread starter macrumors regular

ok thx for replies
    i also wanted to know if a 500gb caviar green is good for time machine
    i am a bit concerned about posts and reviews about caviar greens having failures in short amount of times or has that been fixed already?

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Beats me, but that's why I recommended the Fantom Green Drive. Can get it way cheaper on rebate and generally great reviews.

6. dukefan71 macrumors newbie