which HDD for g4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by squamtch, Mar 27, 2009.

1. squamtch macrumors newbie

I've been looking into buying a new hard drive for my ibook g4 & from seagate to WD to Samsung and prices from 50 to over 500, I'm utterly confused about what is best.:confused:

I'm giving this computer to my 66 year old mom who will mostly use it to surf the web, email, watch videos, etc. Nothing real demanding or sophisticated. My main concern is that it's fast enough to handle streaming video or audio & that it be durable and as long-lasting as possible. (also I'm executing a secret agenda to convert her to a mac love -- my dad filled her head w/ pro pc nonsense for years & she's still wary of how cute macs are & believes they may just be toys for kids ;))

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good HDD?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Depending on the G4 chip you have in there, you're first issue may be the fact that streaming video will run like crap no matter how much RAM/HDD space you have in there.

My 800mhz iBook with 640MB of RAM could barely run hulu, and not acceptably for my standards. As far as HD's go, I'm sure 60-80GB will be more than she'll ever need, just buy a quality drive (WD or Seagate in my opinion).